Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigdog46

Kohler Magnum 18 Vertical to Horizontal Conversion

bigdog46

First of all I would like to thank club member country for his detailed instructions and pictures. Without his help I could not have completed the conversion. I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Kohler Magnum 17 vertical engine a few miles from me that the seller said was in great condition. I went to see it and saw that the tag said MV18S as the model so I knew the conversion could be done because I had read about country's engine sometime earlier. I bought the engine for $150; the seller said he bought it at a yard sale and it had been in a Cub Cadet zero turn mower. I had most of the parts available that I needed for the job from Kohler KT17 engines that I had worked on - oil pickup parts, closure plate, intake manifold, dipstick, muffler, etc. I did have to buy some stainless steel tubing from Amazon.com to fabricate the dipstick tube and an oil filter mount. The cylinder walls still had the original cross hatching so I did not even remove the pistons from the cylinders during teardown. Installed the engine in my Simplicity 17GTH-L today and it runs sweet with no smoke or strange noises. I am very happy with it and some pictures follow.

mag18.jpg

sov 18.jpg

mag18.jpg.b2452b5c0c3523d2aba4289330ae36f7.jpg

57e05731385e4_sov18.jpg.6ed6e5711241b26e7759b30f889fa719.jpg

Brettw

Sound like a real head scratcher. But if it works and you could pick up a Magnum in good shape for a buck fifty, you are WAY ahead of the market. Now if it cost you 2k to do the conversion, well......

SmilinSam

Thats an iteresting operation. Around here I frequently see yardman tractors with these Kohler Vertical twins and they run good, but generally dont bring much of anything for price.

maxtorman1234

I've done several of these conversions, and as mentioned, they can be had cheap! and mostly near new since the machine falls apart well before the engine is used much. Just picked up a craftsman with MV18 for $65 running great.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• spi
    • kwt
    • Drhulv
    • CvM
    • rockfangd
    • Alltractoredup
    • simplewrench
  • Today's Birthdays

1. comet66
      comet66
      (73 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• MARK (LI)

MARK (LI)  »  Alltractoredup

...This is Mark from Long Island ....Gene told me that you are selling  FEL for a Sunstar....the link he sent me does not take me to it ...I am not on FB myself, but my wife is...is it just on the AC  / Simple group, or is it on the Marketplace?
      · 1 reply
    • F.U.N.

F.U.N.  »  sandyhillbill

Dear Sandhillbill
      Can you please copy me on this data, for Sun Star parts list.
      :
      September 12, 2004 Mike I sent you a PM and have all the mfgs. available for the tiller/hitch/pto/liftgroup if you need me to send them to you. Let me know. Thanks, F.U.N.    
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts