Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Talntedmrgreen

Midweek Sale on 'stuff', picked up a few goodies

Talntedmrgreen

Did some holiday shoppin today...still have everyone to shop for, 'cept for ME! :DTook a half day at work to clear my mind a bit, and picked up a real nice Mott Flail mower. The thing is a tank! I had looked long and hard for one, and was suprised at just how big the thing actually was.

20121205_192718.jpg

20121205_193134.jpg

20121205_193203.jpg

20121205_193230.jpg

20121205_193305.jpg

20121205_193312.jpg

Then I swung up to visit the Commander and Chief of our fine club. I enjoy visits there, about an hour south of my place. Ray is a pleasure to chat with, and I picked up a few goodies for the 917H

20121205_193601.jpg

20121205_193655.jpg

20121205_193926.jpg

20121205_193939.jpg

Also took him up on his offer for procuring a flathood twist lock throttle cable. THanks for the hospitality Ray!So now, what did everyone else on my list want? Ma, Dad, Wife...etc, etc. ;)

RayS

Josh, It is always great to chat with you as well. I would like to come and see your collection sometime. On that weight bracket you may want to put a 1/2" bolt in that bottom hole. That 917H of yours, sure is sharp.

huffy

I thought your plan was to tone back the tractor/implement buying once the baby was born? You should be putting your extra cash into a college fund instead of flail mowers. Perhaps you need a sponsor to help you kick the tractor habit. I'll volunteer. Next time you stumble onto a great deal, call me and I'll run down and buy it so that you don't have to. :D

GLPointon

It's tough when we have orange & yellow paint running through our veins....or is that 10w30??Congrats...nice flail...Merry Christmas sm01

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I...need...them OO

id="quote">
id="quote">

Talntedmrgreen

A flail, the way I understand it, and I have never used one myself, esentially shreds vs cutting, and due to the 'limp' nature of the knives, can work over and around obstacles such as rocks, stumps, etc. It's almost like a hammermill that you set the hieght of and move over the targeteted junk.Here's a neat post from a fellow member on his experience...http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121783&SearchTerms=mott,flailI've read nothing but great reviews on them, mostly in the Cub and Deere world.

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

ReedS

We use flails at work. One advantage is that they don't throw stuff the way a rotary mower will, they also chop stuff up better even when dull.

We also have a rotary over-the-guardrail mower that I've seen throw rocks easily over 50ft and into windshields (not cool)!:o}:)

I'm happy to see Ally hard at work earning her place in the herd!

D-17_Dave

I have a larger model flair mower I use behind my 620. I love it. I do find that the brush hog mower is more efficient when in tall stuff. The flail tends to wrap up the taller stuff and load up. But in rough ground no matter how thick it will clean the ground well and smooth. I use the flail a lot around leaves too. If I mow forward and then reverse it will nearly clean off the area like it was vacuumed.

If you look on Mott's website they still make the knives and sell parts. They also have several variations of knives to tailor to your needs. Mine is well worn out but still does a great job. I need to replace all the knives and pins and rebuild the gearbox as mine is a pto drive. Still worth the money.

GrincheyOne

Beginning to ill up that new workshop, Josh! You can hardly be "hanging that Mott by the chimney with care".:) Looks handy to chase field mice!

Good luck with the gift.I'll have to check out your place right after Whoville!

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

• MARK (LI)

MARK (LI)  »  Alltractoredup

...This is Mark from Long Island ....Gene told me that you are selling  FEL for a Sunstar....the link he sent me does not take me to it ...I am not on FB myself, but my wife is...is it just on the AC  / Simple group, or is it on the Marketplace?
      · 2 replies
    • F.U.N.

F.U.N.  »  sandyhillbill

Dear Sandhillbill
      Can you please copy me on this data, for Sun Star parts list.
      :
      September 12, 2004 Mike I sent you a PM and have all the mfgs. available for the tiller/hitch/pto/liftgroup if you need me to send them to you. Let me know. Thanks, F.U.N.    
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts