Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Midweek Sale on 'stuff', picked up a few goodies

Talntedmrgreen

Did some holiday shoppin today...still have everyone to shop for, 'cept for ME! :DTook a half day at work to clear my mind a bit, and picked up a real nice Mott Flail mower. The thing is a tank! I had looked long and hard for one, and was suprised at just how big the thing actually was.

20121205_192718.jpg

20121205_193134.jpg

20121205_193203.jpg

20121205_193230.jpg

20121205_193305.jpg

20121205_193312.jpg

Then I swung up to visit the Commander and Chief of our fine club. I enjoy visits there, about an hour south of my place. Ray is a pleasure to chat with, and I picked up a few goodies for the 917H

20121205_193601.jpg

20121205_193655.jpg

20121205_193926.jpg

20121205_193939.jpg

Also took him up on his offer for procuring a flathood twist lock throttle cable. THanks for the hospitality Ray!So now, what did everyone else on my list want? Ma, Dad, Wife...etc, etc. ;)

Josh, It is always great to chat with you as well. I would like to come and see your collection sometime. On that weight bracket you may want to put a 1/2" bolt in that bottom hole. That 917H of yours, sure is sharp.

I'm pretty proud of the 917, even if it is an RBT ;) I guess it's been a pretty good couple of weeks.

20121130_200107.jpg

20121130_200135.jpg

20121130_200031.jpg

20121130_200041.jpg

I thought your plan was to tone back the tractor/implement buying once the baby was born? You should be putting your extra cash into a college fund instead of flail mowers. Perhaps you need a sponsor to help you kick the tractor habit. I'll volunteer. Next time you stumble onto a great deal, call me and I'll run down and buy it so that you don't have to. :D

It's tough when we have orange & yellow paint running through our veins....or is that 10w30??Congrats...nice flail...Merry Christmas sm01

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I...need...them OO

id="quote">
id="quote">

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I have never used one. What exactly is the advantage, if any, of a flail mower over a rotary mower?

A flail, the way I understand it, and I have never used one myself, esentially shreds vs cutting, and due to the 'limp' nature of the knives, can work over and around obstacles such as rocks, stumps, etc. It's almost like a hammermill that you set the hieght of and move over the targeteted junk.Here's a neat post from a fellow member on his experience...http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121783&SearchTerms=mott,flailI've read nothing but great reviews on them, mostly in the Cub and Deere world.

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

We use flails at work. One advantage is that they don't throw stuff the way a rotary mower will, they also chop stuff up better even when dull.

We also have a rotary over-the-guardrail mower that I've seen throw rocks easily over 50ft and into windshields (not cool)!:o}:)

I'm happy to see Ally hard at work earning her place in the herd!

I have a larger model flair mower I use behind my 620. I love it. I do find that the brush hog mower is more efficient when in tall stuff. The flail tends to wrap up the taller stuff and load up. But in rough ground no matter how thick it will clean the ground well and smooth. I use the flail a lot around leaves too. If I mow forward and then reverse it will nearly clean off the area like it was vacuumed.

If you look on Mott's website they still make the knives and sell parts. They also have several variations of knives to tailor to your needs. Mine is well worn out but still does a great job. I need to replace all the knives and pins and rebuild the gearbox as mine is a pto drive. Still worth the money.

Beginning to ill up that new workshop, Josh! You can hardly be "hanging that Mott by the chimney with care".:) Looks handy to chase field mice!

Good luck with the gift.I'll have to check out your place right after Whoville!

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">