Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

proper loading of a tractor

rm

I saw the result of someone trying this exact thing with a pickup truck, without custom made boards made the right length between the trailer and tailgate (like it looks in the picture). Needless to say when the weight of the garden tractor got on the truck it sagged and the boards slipped off the tailgate and did some major damage to a very nice JD tractor. Luckily the driver did not get much more and a few scraps.

If you wanna put one in back of a jeep (FDT) you have to remove the steering wheel and the lift handle has to be tilted back. Lol don't ask how I know this lol

Originally posted by MikeES

I saw the result of someone trying this exact thing with a pickup truck, without custom made boards made the right length between the trailer and tailgate (like it looks in the picture). Needless to say when the weight of the garden tractor got on the truck it sagged and the boards slipped off the tailgate and did some major damage to a very nice JD tractor. Luckily the driver did not get much more and a few scraps.

id="quote">Nothing like the sound of a half ton of tractor destroying a length of 2x6. There are many ways to qualify for the "Darwin Award". Very creative, bordering 'engineering'. But I will call elsewhere if I want a bridge built. My rule of thumb on ramps is "expect it to fail" - even good ramps can fail when not used properly, and "properly" is usually experienced as the wisdom of 20/20 hindsight. Like Osenga said - "don't ask how I know this". However, there are no boundaries on human creativity; and there's lots of that on display here. Amusing. sm01

When I built my second pulling tractor and only had a trailer big enough for one tractor, I did the same thing for a year till I found a larger trailer to buy. I had a Ford van to put one of the tractors in. I used the same ramps on the back and front. I would drive the first tractor on the trailer, then move the ramps and drive from the trailer into the van. I would then put the ramps on the trailer again and load the second tractor on the trailer.

I used that technique for a while, but it was much nicer when I got the larger tandem axle tilt bed trailer. The trailer tilted with hydraulics, so I could load both tractors while it was tilted, then relieve the pressure and let the trailer back down to level. I don't pull any more, but I still have that trailer and use it regularly for many types of loads.

Many years ago I attempted to load a Craftsman 6HP into the rear of my '68 Buick station wagon. The tractor was free but cost me the replacement of hinges on the tailgate!XX(. OOOPS

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

My trailer is only big enough to hold one tractor. I was thinking of making ramps from the trailer to the truck. The front and rear walls remove, so it would be very easy to make ramps up into the bed of my truck.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts