Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tripleguy

Deck pulley removal tips - appreciated!

tripleguy

I've got 2 pulleys stuck on my 5216 deck. Can anyone give me tips on removing the offending pulleys from the arbors? I have soaked them down with penetrating oil and even used a gear/pulley puller. All that did was bend the pulley. Any tips or tricks??

Al

HI,

We cut off an old Kohler connecting rod and clamp the big end around the hub in the center. The we take a long 7/16 bolt and screw it in in place of the bolt that holds the pulley on. Then we put it in a press and put the press plates under the con rod big end and press on the long bolt. This protects the flanges on the pulley and the pressure is right where the pulley is welded to the hub. Before doing this we usually screw the long bolt in and we wrap the pulley in a rag or towel then we have one person hold it and the other person take a 3 to 5 lb hammer and whack the bolt. This gets 95% of the ones we work on apart. Never try a puller with jaws on it as you will destroy the flanges on the pulley. You will be amazed and how much the bid hammer will do.

Al Eden

tripleguy

I'll need to give the hammer a try. Do you screw the bolt all the way in or leave it out just a bit?

I realized, much too late, that the pulley can't really handle much stress before it bends. Therefore, I'll now need a new one. Are there any after-market pulleys that fit the arbors?

fishnwiz

Hammer C...swear words...BIGGER hammer :(!...More swear words...Sledge Hammerngr2...horrible swear words...heat and hammersm00...swear words.Give up and pay someone else to swear :D. Just my experiences

GLPointon

In my opinion hammers are bad...if you "mushroom" the shaft even slightly you just ruined the works. The only hammer I use on the end of a shaft is a deadblow or shotfilled hammer or a brass/lead/plastic hammer. if you have a bolt in the end then you can hit that--Carefully...I use heat on the hub along with a gear puller. Most autoparts stores rent/loan tools and may have a gear puller which grabs around the shaft under the hub (like a clamshell much like AL was describing in his post) instead of at the outter perimeter which just bends/breaks the pulley.

Good luck sm01

fishnwiz

I WAS just kidding regarding the hammer trick..These pullers with the grade 8 bolts is available where and at what cost??

Al

Hi,

I use a bolt that sticks out about 1 1/2 inches. Screw the bolt into the hole in the end of the shaft until it bottoms out. If it in not bottomed out, the threads take the abuse and the slack there reduces the shock from the hammer.

Al

Al

Hi,

I use a bolt that sticks out about 1 1/2 inches. Screw the bolt into the hole in the end of the shaft until it bottoms out. If it in not bottomed out, the threads take the abuse and the slack there reduces the shock from the hammer.

Al

tripleguy

Well Al, I took your advice and beat one pulley off today. I'll need a trip to the hardware store to get a longer bolt for the last one. It took quite a few blows with a mechanics hammer but once I saw it started to move, I just kept wailing away and it eventually broke free. Thanks!