Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow Blower Pulley

ChuckR

I have an earlier model AC 42" blower and want to put a 6" or 6 1/2" pulley on since the 7" does not fit. I searched on Jack's and TSC and have not been able to find one. Anyone have suugestions on where to get one?

Thanks

I'm curious how well the blower would operate with the stock 5". I'm planning on trying, but belt length will be the stinker of that conversion.

Should be able to get on Mcmaster Carr or Grainger or something and get any size pulley you like.

Phoenix is a good source for pulleys. IMO, their A/B pulley is the one to purchase rather than the "A" style.

Here's the link to the 6" one, if you purchase, be sure to specify 3/4" shaft, not the default in the drop down box:

https://phoenix-mfg.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=25&category_id=32&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56〈=en

What tractor are you going to use the blower on? Using the front drive setup, running a FDT blower on a RBT is harder on the belt because the RBT type blower tunnel is both shorter in height (pulley interference) and length. And the RBT 2 pulley hitch is also longer. (I've never tried a FDT blower with the center PTO single pulley hitch.

Bill, I was planning to try the RBT blower utilizing the single pulley hitch/mid pto setup on an RBT. Unless someone has seen some sort of failure with this, I'm going to go ahead with it and can post results.

When estimating the belt length, I was accounting for the smaller blower pulley, but not the shorter blower tunnel. Any idea what the difference in length is? When you hit those 140"+ belts, options for local sourcing dwindle, and I may very well load up the tractor and take to Napa with me ;)

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Bill, I was planning to try the RBT blower utilizing the single pulley hitch/mid pto setup on an RBT. Unless someone has seen some sort of failure with this, I'm going to go ahead with it and can post results. When estimating the belt length, I was accounting for the smaller blower pulley, but not the shorter blower tunnel. Any idea what the difference in length is? When you hit those 140"+ belts, options for local sourcing dwindle, and I may very well load up the tractor and take to Napa with me ;)

id="quote">
id="quote">Get a 15'0" length of 1/2"dia rope and wind it around the pulley grooves for a primary measurement. You might hit the bullseye first go around.:D

quote:Get a 15'0" length of 1/2"dia rope and wind it around the pulley grooves for a primary measurement. You might hit the bullseye first go around.id="quote">
id="quote">

That's why ol' Bobber gets paid the big bux.8D

I think Burntime ran a 5" pulley on his 42". I thought about trying it. My B10 I had with 36" blower would throw it twice as far it seemed than what a 42" on my 917H with 7" pulley. I got a new old stock 42" a couple years ago and I think I could throw it further with a shovel. I prefer the 36" blower with the 7" pulley as well over the 42". It just throws the snow further in my opinion. Think I will try to find a Berco:D.

One thing to keep in mind is if you increase the speed at which the blower rotates it will require more power to throw the snow. Depending on the tractor and the type of snow you get this may not be an issue.

I know Marty (MPH) altered the pulley on one of his blowers and found it took too much power to throw the snow. Marty stated the smaller pulley worked with the lighter snow, but the heavy wet snow just bogged the tractor down.

If you have having trouble throwing snow you need to make sure the shoot is clean and smooth, no rust. It also helps if you keep the snow blower full of snow. On a single stage blower this means altering the speed of the tractor. The lighter the snow the faster the tractor. On real heavy snow it could mean only taking half a bite at a time and crawling to keep the blower full.

Rick........

Josh,

I'm assuming you missed typed and you're going to try a FDT blower with a single pulley hitch.

There's about a 1" difference in tunnel length between the FDT and RBT blowers.