Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
451johnny

landlord or sovereign

PhanDad

Assuming you mean an old Landlord vs the Sovereign, IMO they're the same as long as you don't try to do 16 HP work with the Landlord. The 10HP will do a good job, sometimes just not as quickly as the higher HP Sovereign's.

lampoulos

For me it's a matter of what you're into. I gravitate towards a landlord because I'm a fan of mechanical inner-workings. From a quality watch to getting an old combine running I love the precision of a "mechanism". It's not that I don't think the Sovereign is a heck of a machine, it's just not my realm of interest. They can both to the same amount of work, just by different means.

PhanDad

All I mean is you can do more "work" with more horsepower, ie blow more heavy wet snow with a 42" blower (more ft3 of snow per minute). To me, that's the main difference between them, although there are other differences such as transmissions, front tire size.

huffy

I guess it depends on what you mean by "better". Simplicity, at least at one point, offered both tractors in their lineup; as well as the Broadmoor, Yeoman, and Serf. Is a Sovereign better than a Serf? It's definitely bigger, more powerful, and can be put to more applications because it can use more attachments. But, if the owner has a small yard, only needs to mow grass, and has limited storage area, then the Serf's better for him. Same with comparing the Landlord and Sovereign, the way I see it. Sovereign's better for some people, the Landlord for others. Just depends what the individual intends to do, which machine they're more comfortable with, and which machine they like better.

MysTiK
quote:Originally posted by lampoulos

For me it's a matter of what you're into. I gravitate towards a landlord because I'm a fan of mechanical inner-workings.id="blue"> From a quality watch to getting an old combine running I love the precision of a "mechanism". It's not that I don't think the Sovereign is a heck of a machine, it's just not my realm of interest. They can both to the same amount of work, just by different means.

id="quote">
id="quote">Well said.It's the same idea - what's better - a new tractor, or rusty olde junk.It's the same idea - me "babying" my 33 yr olde tractor.It's the same idea - HOW does this thing work? And a good maintenance program.

GrincheyOne
Originally posted by MysTiK
quote:
id="quote">Graham,a 33 YO is a "baby" Both of my RBTs (2110s) are in their 40's! Howz that go "Life begins at 40" ?Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

HubbardRA

In the later RBTs. Landlords, Barons, and Sovereigns were just different options on the same chassis.

If you are talking about the old Landlords(FDTs) versus the Sovereigns (RBTs), they are somewhat different but can easily do the same jobs with essentially the same attachments. Both are good tractors.

It seems that many people ask this type of question. They want a single answer that says a specific tractor, set up a specific way, is the best for every task. No such thing. The tractor that is best is dependent on what the user is trying to accomplish. The attachment is unique to the job. The weighting of the tractor is unique to the job. The tires are unique to the job. There is no such answer to the question, "Which is the best tractor?", especially without knowing what it will be used for. Even then, different people will see it in different ways and come up with different answers. Some people want only FDTs and others want only RBTs. I prefer RBTs but do own a couple FDTs. Everybody looks at things differently.

Actually asking a question like this, and using only the tractor name is close to meaningless. Those of us who use and work on the tractors know the machines by specific names dependent on the years manufactured. If you say you have a 64 Landlord, then I know it was a 3-speed with 9Hp engine and had a black dash, or a Landlord 101 had the same tranny, but had a white dash and a 10 Hp engine. If you are talking about a later tractor, I want to know it was a 7013S or a 7016H, because that number tells me chassis, engine, and transmission much easier than trying to look through a bunch of literature to find out the 7013 was a Baron and the 7016 was a Sovereign. Same tractor, different name, different options. The names Landlord and Sovereign floated around to different tractors in the large frame series throughout the years and by themselves does not really specify the the specific tractor. As a minimum, when you use a name like Landlord, you also need to know the year it was made to even be able to look up the tractor and find out what it was.

fishnwiz

This is a loaded question in my eyes...I own a 64 landlord so of course I like the landlord. Kind of like asking whats your favorite color! Its all subjective.

Wiz

Talntedmrgreen

Give me the work you need to do, and the two models you're lookin at, and I can probably give a solid, opinionated, answer absed on which is better suited for the job. For instance:

I'm loving using an RBT (Sovereign) for the first time. I can see how this would be a dream for tilling and pushing snow.

BUT...I know I pulled a plow with it, and I think I like a geared tractor better for that. I would also prefer to mow my yard with an old FDT (LL) and 42" deck, becuase I feel that setup turns sharper, and the 42" deck cuts a little nicer on the contours of my lawn. I don't have the direction control of a hydro, but for the amount of time I spend cutting grass, some good old fashion shifting is flat out fun! :J