Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Talntedmrgreen

Hydro Lift Troubleshooting

Talntedmrgreen

So, I'm at work and have something nagging me, that I would love to hear your take on. I have a fussy hyrolift in one of my FDT's. It doesn't have the typical bleed down, and will hold any attachment proudly, and for weeks at a time. However, when in operation, it will not lift without coaxing through the lift controls. Rather than moving the control lever forward and lifting the implement, I have to bump the lever forward several times...bump, bump, bump....up, up, up.

It seems to me this is caused by the pump, rather than the lift cylinder, and I have a second hdyrolift that is showing the early signs of this disease as well. Fluid is topped off in each. Is there adjustment to these I can mess with, externally, or am I pulling the pump to diagnose?

Any thoughts? I forsee an oily mess in my future. ;)

Thank you!

gwiseman

Josh

I think you are on the right track. First I'd try changing out the oil. Contaminates in the oil can cause restrictions. If that doesnt cure then an o ring overhaul is probably in order. I've replaced o rings in my 2; found the old ones very worn and some pieces in the oil.

rokon2813
quote:Originally posted by mwells

I'm guessing the belt is tight right?

id="quote">
id="quote">I would start by standing beside it and operating while watching the pump pulley and belt. That is exactly what happens when the pump stops turning from a loose or glazed belt.

Talntedmrgreen

Ya know, that's real good point, and just why I asked! I'm accustomed to taking the long way around a problem. The -tear-an-engine-down approach to a fouled plug ;)

I did push on the belt, and that was nice and snug, but I did not watch to see if the pulley is moving 100%. Makes perfect sense, and an easy check.

If that checks out, it's probably time to order some orings.

Thanks guys!

huffy
quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I'm accustomed to taking the long way around a problem. The -tear-an-engine-down approach to a fouled plug

id="quote">
id="quote">I heard one time that Thomas Edison went through like 1,000 prototypes that didn't work before he invented the light bulb, and that when he was later asked if he ever thought about giving up during those 1,000 failures he said, "I didn't fail, I just learned 1,000 ways of how not to make a light bulb." I'm a "long way around the problem" guy also, but I try to justify it by using Mr. Edison's logic: I didn't waste my time and energy tearing the engine down, even though it didn't fix the problem. Rather, I simply eliminated 1,000 potential causes other than the fouled plug.

huffy

It's not like you don't have 8 or so other tractors to handle the snow . . . .

Might be a stupid question, but are you sure there isn't just some air in there that needs to be bled out?

Talntedmrgreen
quote:Originally posted by MysTiK

Better buy another tractor. crk8

id="quote">
id="quote">;) I'm workin on it...Hoses, etc are all correct. The unit operated fine previously, and unserviced since. I don't see where the quadrant adjustment may ahve slipped, but can give that a try as well.

GLPointon

Sounds to me too like a slipping belt. if you rev the engine to full does it help? (less slippage) I use a can of belt dressing for a quick way of troubleshooting belt slippage issues (it makes it tacky enough to grip for a while)...good luck sm01

Talntedmrgreen

Greg, I have better luck under these conditions:

-High RPM

-'Warm oil' (or what I assumed was warm oil...might be warmer=grippy belt instead)

Sure sounds like a slipping belt to me. I do have automotive belt dressing at home amongst other spray cans. Never had a cahnce to step in the garage last nite, and have a date with a CL seller after work today. Sure hope to fix it before next week's snows....

perry
quote:Originally posted by huffy

Might be a stupid question, but are you sure there isn't just some air in there that needs to be bled out?

id="quote">
id="quote">they are self bleeding . I had one doing the same thing a few years ago. tryed all the short cuts and never figured it out. after haveing 9 hydro lifts at one time in my collection, that bad one is now sitting on the shelf for future rebuild. glad to hear it was just a belt on yours josh ^

huffy
Originally posted by perry
quote:
id="quote">So then, yes, it was a stupid question. My bad. I thought I remembered having to follow a process in the manual to bleed it after I rebuilt mine. But, alas, I was wrong.