Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigten65

simplicity 4040

bigten65

Well guys and gals. what do think. There is a 4040 with loader on Minneapolis Craiglist. It says missing carb and condition unknown. only $2150.00. I know these tractors go for a lot of money. In the photos it looks great.

midnightpumpkin

After looking at the pictures more carefully and realizing the loader is "too tall" for the tractor, I would revise what I think it is worth to more like $450 for the loader and $400 for the tractor.

I would peg the loader at $1500 and the non-running 4040 at $500.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/grd/3453596814.html

The loader looks to be well built and has a self leveling bucket arrangement. The pump for the loader is run off of the rear PTO, that could be expensive if there are issues with the rear PTO. Lack of a subframe for the loader would put a lot of stress on the tractor frame itself.

You are looking at a lot of unknowns here, the main gamble being the engine itself. Lack of engine tin on the oil filter side is a big red flag to me. Onan's are very expensive to repair and re-powers are not cheap either. I would proceed with caution on this one.

John U

D-17_Dave

Self leveling bucket is a positive but that looks to be a light duty loader. The tractor is worn down to just a parts tractor. That and a home made bucket,,,,,,,1500.00 package tops.

dhardin

Love the steering wheel extension. Interesting 4040 with 3pt and rear pto. But the hood looks 4040. Wonder if that tank siting on the finder is a hydro oil reserve? The pump on the back pto is huge, the cylinders look bigger than a ARK loader.

Kind of over priced, make a lower offer see what happens.

midnightpumpkin
quote:Originally posted by dhardin

Love the steering wheel extension. Interesting 4040 with 3pt and rear pto. But the hood looks 4040. Wonder if that tank siting on the finder is a hydro oil reserve? The pump on the back pto is huge, the cylinders look bigger than a ARK loader.Kind of over priced, make a lower offer see what happens.

id="quote">
id="quote">Its a 4040 for sure. They had rear PTO's and 3 point hitches on the 4040. The keyswitch is on the dash and has the 4040 hood scoop.I also noticed the cylinders are bigger than the cylinders on the ARK600. John U

PeppyDan

It looks like the entire loader is homemade to me. I think they used a mix of many parts they had lying around and made them work. Those front arms look very long and would bend easily with much loading on the bucket. I like the self leveling feature though I'm not crazy about the loooong bucket cylinders. It would have a very tall lift height.

I agree to use caution in buying this one.

Just my two cents worth.

Dan