Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 4040

bigten65

Well guys and gals. what do think. There is a 4040 with loader on Minneapolis Craiglist. It says missing carb and condition unknown. only $2150.00. I know these tractors go for a lot of money. In the photos it looks great.

After looking at the pictures more carefully and realizing the loader is "too tall" for the tractor, I would revise what I think it is worth to more like $450 for the loader and $400 for the tractor.

I would peg the loader at $1500 and the non-running 4040 at $500.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/grd/3453596814.html

The loader looks to be well built and has a self leveling bucket arrangement. The pump for the loader is run off of the rear PTO, that could be expensive if there are issues with the rear PTO. Lack of a subframe for the loader would put a lot of stress on the tractor frame itself.

You are looking at a lot of unknowns here, the main gamble being the engine itself. Lack of engine tin on the oil filter side is a big red flag to me. Onan's are very expensive to repair and re-powers are not cheap either. I would proceed with caution on this one.

John U

Self leveling bucket is a positive but that looks to be a light duty loader. The tractor is worn down to just a parts tractor. That and a home made bucket,,,,,,,1500.00 package tops.

quote:Originally posted by wilm169

Why is the steering wheel so high and the loader???????:o

id="quote">
id="quote">The steering wheel goes with the funky seat!John U

Love the steering wheel extension. Interesting 4040 with 3pt and rear pto. But the hood looks 4040. Wonder if that tank siting on the finder is a hydro oil reserve? The pump on the back pto is huge, the cylinders look bigger than a ARK loader.

Kind of over priced, make a lower offer see what happens.

quote:Originally posted by dhardin

Love the steering wheel extension. Interesting 4040 with 3pt and rear pto. But the hood looks 4040. Wonder if that tank siting on the finder is a hydro oil reserve? The pump on the back pto is huge, the cylinders look bigger than a ARK loader.Kind of over priced, make a lower offer see what happens.

id="quote">
id="quote">Its a 4040 for sure. They had rear PTO's and 3 point hitches on the 4040. The keyswitch is on the dash and has the 4040 hood scoop.I also noticed the cylinders are bigger than the cylinders on the ARK600. John U

It looks like the entire loader is homemade to me. I think they used a mix of many parts they had lying around and made them work. Those front arms look very long and would bend easily with much loading on the bucket. I like the self leveling feature though I'm not crazy about the loooong bucket cylinders. It would have a very tall lift height.

I agree to use caution in buying this one.

Just my two cents worth.

Dan