Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My Dad's 1964 Landlord Project

JoggerFogger

I keep searching google for information, and it keeps pointing me back here; seems like the right place for my project.

I've been looking around and realized that this tractor is a sad, sad mess compared to some of the beauties I've seen here. My dad bought this tractor in 1976 when I was 5 and I don't think it ever looked as good as some of the units here.

I'd love to just get her mechanically sound and mowing the grass by this spring. My Daughter is now 5yrs old, and I have fond memories of riding around in the trailer with my sister and the neighbor kids while my dad mowed the field. We'd all have to duck when he took left turns because the grass (and rocks and dirt) would nail us in the back from the open mower.

I'm just really glad that I have most of the parts like the grill and the hood. For as far as I can remember, I don't think the hood was ever on this thing. I just saved this thing from the recycler a couple weeks ago as it's been sitting in the blackberry bushes behind one of my old rental houses for the last 10 yrs. The only reason it was there was because I saved it from the dump when my dad was cleaning his yard.

It's going to be a long road to get this girl purring. The last time I saved it(2002), I got it running with a little persuasion, but I lost momentum when it wouldn't keep running and there was a large knock coming from the motor. Lots and lots of smoke too.

Pictures say 1,000 words, so here they are. She is in a sad state. Hopefully when the sun comes back out, she'll be on her feet again.

-Kevin

IMG_8055.JPG

IMG_8056.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG

IMG_8059.JPG

IMG_8061.JPG

IMG_8063.JPG

IMG_8065.JPG

IMG_8066.JPG

IMG_8067.JPG

IMG_8068.JPG

IMG_8071.JPG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoggerFogger

• MysTiK

• fishnwiz

• dhardin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome!

Google definitely sent you to the right place. There's plenty of threads on here about fixing or full-out restoring the old Landlords/B series. Search through those and you should find just about all the info you need. If not, post a question here and you'll be surprised how fast and helpful the responses are.

Interesting. My son bought a 64 Landlord a few years back and it had neither a hood nor rear fenders. I got the engine running by putting a carb that I was keeping for a spare on his engine, and new points and condenser. I used a set of later model fenders, and made a hood out of an old AC 410 hood that I had. Here is a picture of the tractor after I made the hood, but before I sanded and painted the hood, fenders, and rear wheels. I also installed a seat before giving it to him.

64Landlord.jpg

64Landlord.jpg.e89f42694b3f7a1a9efe42e9f5c6a416.jpg

Start out with a good pressure wash of the whole thing and away you go!!Welcome to the club. I myself am a newbie to this site AND a 64 landlord owner (among a few others ). You HAVE come to the correct place, of that there is no question! The guys on this site are great and a wealth of info and NO question is to stupid or easy to ask, so fire away! You have your hands full as do a lot of people on this site so you are in good hands!Following are pics of MY LL...Shes NOT pretty but I love her the way she is.

IMG_2829.jpg

simp trac 1.JPG

tractor2.JPG

IMG_2829.jpg.5daf5eefc1ec28921e151896c6237fdc.jpg

57e05d5274ac3_simptrac1.JPG.f37ee71755079ed50712090aea736689.JPG

tractor2.JPG.25994f597e6f4d57490b63b935c0cdb4.JPG

Welcome to the Club. 8D

As a paid member, you have access to all areas. As mentioned, the Search function is your friend - and you might want to check the "Archived Posts" checkbox - that will find more and older posts - search using keywords only, often the less words, the better.

I too recommend a pressure washer, just to get the old crud out of the way. And then find all the grease points and lube points and oil points. Cos this baby is gonna run. dOd

That will let you see the starting point. I wouldn't focus too much on the cosmetics for now; but rather get into the mechanicals, adjustments, and general functionality. Get the big items under control, then pursue the details, as much as possible. And with that, you'll pick up some of the cosmetics as well. Eventually, you can repaint - I think you should locate a sandblaster service for some parts, or you might prefer electrolysis. There's searchable info on those as well.

It can be a big project; but it's all done one thing at a time.

And you can ask questions all the way. There's no time limit. There's no test. You set the pace, the standards, do it your own way, or stick to originality, as you prefer.

Take the time to note your progress as you go - you have already taken some big steps, and you are already in process. The rest just happens. Enjoy the ride. You are not alone. sm01

edit = the magic is like this - the tractor is already mowing in spring; it just hasn't happened yet. And this "rusty olde junk" is going to outperform that new junk. Watch. :D

quote:Originally posted by MysTiK

Welcome to the Club. 8DAs a paid member, you have access to all areas. As mentioned, the Search function is your friend - and you might want to check the "Archived Posts" checkbox - that will find more and older posts - search using keywords only, often the less words, the better.I too recommend a pressure washer, just to get the old crud out of the way. And then find all the grease points and lube points and oil points. Cos this baby is gonna run. dOdThat will let you see the starting point. I wouldn't focus too much on the cosmetics for now; but rather get into the mechanicals, adjustments, and general functionality. Get the big items under control, then pursue the details, as much as possible. And with that, you'll pick up some of the cosmetics as well. Eventually, you can repaint - I think you should locate a sandblaster service for some parts, or you might prefer electrolysis. There's searchable info on those as well.It can be a big project; but it's all done one thing at a time.And you can ask questions all the way. There's no time limit. There's no test. You set the pace, the standards, do it your own way, or stick to originality, as you prefer.Take the time to note your progress as you go - you have already taken some big steps, and you are already in process. The rest just happens. Enjoy the ride. You are not alone. sm01edit = the magic is like this - the tractor is already mowing in spring; it just hasn't happened yet. And this "rusty olde junk" is going to outperform that new junk. Watch. :D

id="quote">
id="quote">Well said MysTik...put me in coach!dOd

tractor 1 w sweeper .jpg

they look rough at first. but with a little love they start to smile. i had two that i bought for parts got them up and running. a little soap and water, and some elbow grease you will have that running in no time. i bet you will have that running and cruising around the yard in a couple hours!!

57e05d533d2b1_tractor1wsweeper.jpg.72b46a4943fd4cffbc08d55489f9e35a.jpg

Originally posted by fishnwiz
quote:
id="quote">:DHey, Wiz. One of these days you're gonna let the cat out of the bag, and there'll be no turning back. :DStill gigglin' here. sm01Ok your turn. 8)

tractor%201%20w%20sweeper%20.jpg

wow - what a great picture,just a beautiful scenew a humble tractorjust doing it's thing.thanx for that, rm.make my day. dOdMyst.(I was just talking to 'simple-kid' about how you take 100 pix to find one gem).

Originally posted by MysTiK
quote:
id="quote">:DHey, Wiz. One of these days you're gonna let the cat out of the bag, and there'll be no turning back. :DStill gigglin' here. sm01Ok your turn. 8)
id="quote">id="quote">???NO DISRESPECT...I was SERIOUS...Well said and a great pep talk to all of us who take on a project that others may not see or understand.

That's ok. No problem. Comments welcome and understood.

I liked it better the first time; even tho it wasn't quite a pep talk as such; more of a quiet adventure story, based in real life, with a family history, and much tradition and culture. Like an intro to a great book, or a movie. All this come to bear on an old abandoned tractor; and the tractor symbolized so much more than we know; and yet, somehow, we do know and we do feel. And so we watch the process with sincere interest. And would offer help where we are able. The energy is quiet and a determined excitement; and it is genuine; and of a grade beyond, and hard to describe. That moment is what it is. It has been seen. There is no return. There is only more, in time, in process. And for reasons beyond words.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

If that photo was black and white it would make for a killer xmas card!

id="quote">
id="quote">you really think so? I like the original. The colour of the Light.Ever heard of the "Golden Section"?http://www.goldennumber.net/golden-section/(edited to 'grayscale' in irfanview) + resized.

Landlord Grayscale.jpg

The Golden Section, or Golden Ratio, intersects both the house and the tractor. (twice each - vertically and horizontally). It was explained to me by an artist friend. He said "it evokes the Spirit" and it is felt whether someone knows it or not. He showed me a book of great art and pointed it out in all those great works. Artists are taught this. My camera will display it as a 'grid' to assist in pix shooting.

57e05d542abae_LandlordGrayscale.jpg.0221f5299364263984f22ffa19e2ab82.jpg

.....Do not let debris discourage you from this tractor,

it looks very complete, a good thing.....Even my wife said

it has a nice seat....Approach it objectively and I'd bet

you will be well rewarded.....I've started with way less

and turned them in to running machines.....

Originally posted by MysTiK
quote:
id="quote">I was wrong about the B&W...NOT trying to take anything away from this neat picture. Maybe if the newer yard sweep was out of the pic it would look more classic? I do love the framing and rural feel to the background in the print.

If you have not already, check out the ZippoVarga vidios on you tube to walk you through how to examine a used Simplicity to figure out potential repairs.

You are half way there so I would pull the motor early on. The Briggs 23Ds were super tough and reliable but the noise bothers me. Might as well ck the bore and crank. Chances of it being saved is real good and parts are not a problem thanks to ebay. Many times the rings are worn out but the bore is ok, re-ring and go. You need to get any rodent problems in the motor cured also.

I bought my 64 LL bought in 2004 at an auction for 18.00. It is my main tractor now, in work clothes, about 450.00 later. I enjoy watching the neighbors crap tractors come and go while I am puttin away.

Gary

:o:O:O

18 dollars....Thats crazy money sm00. You are lucky I was not at that auction or it would have cost you a lot more!8D Thats a BARGIN! Great job! Wiz

Sage advice. MysTiK, You're right on the money. As much as I don't want to admit it, this tractor has a lot of meaning to me. I begged for years to gain the rights to drive it, and turned it into my neighborhood mowing service when I was 12 or so. It was really my introduction to all things mechanical. So there's some sentimental value. My wife pointed it out to me. She asked last night "What is it with you and that tractor? You just can't seem to let it go."Anyway, I spent a couple hours last night starting in. Found out a few things, some good, some bad. Pulled the head off and found that it's been rebuilt and bored over .10 at some point. In my opinion, I don't think it looks bad at all. I also jumped the starter and spun it around as fast as it would go without the head on and didn't hear any big knocking. But after 30 seconds or so I could hear what sounded like dry bearings starting to hum so I stopped.

IMG_8116.JPG

After a little wire brush and wipe:

IMG_8119.JPG

I realized that I should pull the motor out and check the bottom end so I stopped there and moved to the wheels. She's going to need to at least roll around during this process, so I started pulling them apart. When I was cleaning out the sideyard where this tractor had been living for the last 10yrs, I also pulled some old tiny trailer wheels out for the garbage. Last week my garbage man pulled them out and said they can't take tires/wheels so I was going to throw them away at work. I just happened to set them by the tractor and I realized that they are the exact same size as the front wheels on the tractor! Yay. Pack-rats celebrate! I would like to buy some 2-ply "Lug" tires at some point (saw them on Ebay), but for now, cheap or free takes priority.

IMG_8123.JPG

I plopped the wheel bearings in some diesel and took a wire wheel to the steel wheel. It's pitted pretty bad. Never going to be a show pony, but some primer made it look nicer. As I looked at the wheel bearings I thought immediately about getting new ones, but they're not horrible. If I start replacing every part on this thing, I'm going to spend $2,000 before I'm done. I'm just going to clean them and pack 'em with grease for now. It was a moment that kind of set the scope/depth of this project. I had to sit back and check myself and realize where I want to go with this Tractor.

IMG_8117.JPG

Next I got to the fuel tank and I was trying to look inside to see the condition of it and I started seeing stars. What I mean is pin holes in the tank. Bummer. They're around the neck, on the top; everywhere. I was really hoping that I'd be able to use the old solvent/BBs/nuts/bolts shake it around for an hour trick, but that's not going to heal the holes. I don't like using liquid tank sealers, but I'm thinking it might be the best option. (unless someone has a better idea) I'll probably spring for a new cap/guage, I always liked that part.I also took off the mower deck, and the blades won't move at all. Totally seized. That will be a project all itself.Questions for y'all:1. Is this the stock carburetor? (see pic below) I'm assuming it is, but want to make sure before I order a rebuild kit.2. I saw a post about using a 5hp Tecumseh rototiller fuel tank, but is there a known cheap/easy replacement?3. ...I guess that's it for now.Oh, and I did find Zippo on youtube. I might have watched about 20 of this 280 videos on this type of tractor. There's lots of information there. I really appreciate the help now, in the past, and in the future. I do like seeing the basket cases that have turned into working machines as well.-Kevin

IMG_8066.JPG

To save some money, keep an eye on craigs list for used tires or a parts tractor. Even ebay can provide a lot of extra used parts including tires, at reasonable prices from time to time. Save a search on ebay and keep checking back!

Parts tractors, and places like craigslist, are just great often for solutions to various problems.

I like your comments re front wheel bearings, grease for now, keep the costs under control, can always do a redo later on minor items.

Motor looks pretty good - to my limited knowledge. I wonder what's the best way to clean up a rusty engine.

I think with the deck off and the engine out, you can do an easier job w a pressure wash. - ya know I looked over the first pix, and I see a tractor hiding in old dirt and grease - just needs cleaning. And paint, and cosmetic, do that later - if it needs it. But the 'pretty stuff' comes later. And it's better to have the mech stuff under control before paint - otherwise you'll be hacking new paint to fix some problem. Really it's about priorities; and keep in mind that you are number one. Sometimes you need a break. You can't do this for us, even tho we want to see it happen.

I'm just waiting to see what comes out in the "wash".

I like your comments so far. And thanks for sharing what the wife said about [what is it with you and that tractor - can't let it go]. You have lots of time to answer that - but it's personal and likely private - and some things should stay that way. It depends. But she knows you; and she can see it. It's an ongoing funny story with the wives vs the tractors. Most of the wives are inclined to say 'when are you going to get rid of that thing'. Your wife, it seems, knows something more.

Take your time. Do the next thing. A guy who's into his tractor always knows what that is. I would deal with the deck later, after the tractor itself is under control.

I bought my barebones, no frills, no attachments tractor as a runner w a busted spindle on the deck. As a complete nooby, I tore into the deck. I was way over my head, and it crushed me like a bug. I eventually found a parts tractor, no engine, but it had all the attachments I needed, and was a complete tractor. My deck got replaced, I got a blower, chains, a blade I still can't figure out, and I stole a few detail parts my main tractor needed or was missing. I met a friend who is into the same tractor, and he sold me a rear lift and a sleeve hitch; and eventually he repaired my bgb - I gave him my parts tractor in payment. It was interesting how it all just worked out. Each tractor cost me 250. This year my 48" deck mowed a few lawns and earned it's keep. It also helps me haul firewood, and earns it's keep again. It's a tool and a toy and a hobby and it teaches me mechanics. I need to paint the replacement deck. The rest is original paint - while wiping it one day, I discovered wd-40 deleted dirt marks that I thought were scratches, and the paint started to shine like new - so I cleaned the whole tractor with wd-40, and in the rain, the whole thing beads up - and in the dust, my leaf blower makes it clean again.

Not the best methods; but cheap; and functional - and I can always spend more money - later, if needed. So far, I am getting away cheap.

Thank you, Kevin, for sharing this amazing experience so far. Don't push the river.

sm01

I found the Operating and Maintenance Manual with parts catalog for the engine online.

I haven't even looked for one on the whole tractor yet.

If I get the motor running well, I'll be 85% of the way there. The rest of the work is just sanding and painting.

I already ordered the carb rebuild kit. I'll have the bottom end apart by this weekend (if not tonight) and hopefully an idea if there will be a machine shop involved in the resurrection. I do remember a distinct hard knock that was coming form the engine last time it was run, and that was after I took the whole thing apart with a buddy that built drag racing engines. That was about 15yrs ago, and he seemed to think that the whole motor was fine. I know quite a bit more now, but I remember fighting with the points and magneto back then. Maybe I just have a sticky valve that's flapping around in there? We'll see.

I do love the whole journey of doing this. I've wanted to do it for a long time, and now that I'm in my 40s with a stable job, and a family, and my end house, this is a perfect project for me to take on.

And, all of a sudden my dad is really interested in taking her for a drive once it's back running. :)

-Kevin