Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S Model 500 Find and questions???

fishnwiz

Hello All, I found this sweet old engine while "PICKIN" a few weeks back. I did pay $15.00 for it (down from asking 50.00) but know only a little about it. What I do know is this is a model 500 B&S made for Sears and most likly was used on a push reel type mower. I have narrowed the date down to 1947 and specs are 5 hp type WI engine with a type "G" suction type carb. What I need is plug gap setting and initial needle setting on carb. Hoping someone here can help before I go seek info in cyber space or elsewhere. Thanks, Wiz

IMG_0001_50.jpg

IMG_0001_50.jpg.346217bcce78d3305a37d04b6fcca241.jpg

MODEL WI -- (1938-1957, 1/2 HP, 2.00" Bore, 1.50" Stroke, L-head)

The Model WI is an industrial version of the WMB and has a deeper oil sump and an oil pump. This engine was built in many variations for end users including versions with a float feed carburetor and special base castings.

I'd start at 1 to 1/2 on the carb settings, and probly guessing 30 on the plug gap until you find the right info.

I have (I think without looking) the parts manual for that. Not sure if that info is in there or not.

I have the parts manual, actually there are 2 depending on your type number. But that info is not in either...sorry

I did send n email to my BIL, who plays with them regularly...

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

AWESOME...Thanks guys. Great info!

id="quote">
id="quote">PM me your E-mail address and I will send you what I got from Briggs.

Wow, did what Rokon said settings wise...1 pull, started right up and ran as smooth as silk! This little engine is very quite.. was very surprised at that. Thanks for all of the help and the manuals guys. Much appreciated.

Wiz

Want to have fun with it at shows? Remove the head get 2 head gaskets remove the spark plug wire. Strip back the spark plug wire a little bit put it between the gaskets so it sticks past the gasket. Put head back on and put a false spark plug wire to the spark plug. You can run the engine this way and will run good.Bring a few junk spark plugs along.Start the engine let it run for a while and take a hammer and break off the plug and have fun when people can't figure out why it keeps running.Lot of fun. Bob

:o WHAT THE HECK? That sounds awesome, has anyone else ever seen this work or is this an urban legend LOL? I have been to a few engine shows and have NEVER seen or heard of that one? Am I leading a sheltered life? sm01