Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Unconventional

Simplicity Wonderboy model number

Unconventional

Today I just got a Simplicity Wonderboy. This was one that was made for montgomery wards named the Lawn Trac. The model number on it is 990090 and the serial number is 6416. It should be a 1957. With the first manufacture number being 990086 does that mean mine is the 4th one produced? http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1957-1964.htm

timflury

OUCH!!,

These early joystick controlled riders came with a Clinton 4hp engine on them.

You can tell the early models due to the lack of a guard around the handle of the joystick.

Does it have solid rubber front tires?

You have a rare machine there. Welcome.

Talntedmrgreen

The later model Wonderboy 450 also had no gaurd on the joystick. The first appearance of that was on the 575 model of the same vintage.

Your mfg #, and the recent discovery of a bronze Wards/Wonderboy RER certainly point to your machine being the earliest of the RER Wards machines...probably the very first model offered by the brand. I'm wondering now, did bronze first appear in '59, when Wonderboy's first received numerical naming conventions (450 & 575)? Funny becuase the front engine Wards riders remained red till '63/'64 on the 700 series platform. By that time, the joystick RER's were gone.

Unconventional

Ill have to be on the lookout for a clinton so I can get it back to original and have the cover welded back up. The front tires are solid.

Thanks for the manuals. Those whill be helpful.

fishnwiz

I kind of forgot about clinton engines as you do not see many around my parts anymore.I am a picker so I will keep an eye out for you for a 4hp clinton?