Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trying to start the Lombardini (920 diesel update)

imn2vws

I cleaned out the cooling fins behind the cooling tins. I worked my way up the fuel system and I have fuel at the injectors, but not a lot. I had the motor cranking over real well. It blew out a couple puffs of white smoke but didn't really hit. I figure my next step would be to do a compression test. All my friends have testers for gas engines. Does anyone know if the harbor freight "diesel" tester will work or will I have to buy adapters? I figure after I do a compression test I can tell what kind of shape the rings are in. Then to the fuel or the lack there of.

Danny

First of all you need a solid flow of fuel to get it to start. A short shot of ether as quick as you can say "phftt"(half second) in length may make it fire after you have primed the fuel system.

I forgot to mention that I did try a little ether(not much). But it didn't hit on it either. From what I've seen usually they will try to hit evan if the fuel system isn't primed.

Never messed wit a Lombardini, but is the compression release stuck?

I had a Lister Petter that would crank forever and puff smoke but never start with the release open. Closed it would start on 1 crank.

To start it (besides having the air out of the fuel lines), you need to push the throttle to full open. Try the ether again. If no sign of firing, a valve might not be closing.

Mine would start with all the rings pretty well toasted, although some cranking was necessary. With new rings (and wide open throttle) it starts quite well done to about 35 degrees without ether. When cooler temps are encountered, I'll squirt a little ether up the intake air hose. I don't want to over use the starter---------they are expensive to replace or fix.

Why is the starter so expensive (other than the fact that all engines parts for this tractor are expensive) and what is the average life of the starter and is it any different then a standard starter? I recently bought a tractor with a lambardini engine and am in the learning process with my 1st Diesel engine.

Thanks in advance!

One thing you will want to do is start that engine at wide open throttle. You might think I am nuts. I am not sure if I sent you the 7790 operators manual or not with all the pdf files I sent you.

The 7790 operators manual states to start engine at wide open throttle. Mine starts every time this way and it is right away. I never had to use ether. It has to be something to do with injector pump timing or something.

If I do not start at wide open throttle it just cranks forever and will eventually start. I don`t have to use the heater either but can below 32 degrees. Try this and lets us know if it starts. It seems weird but the engineers had a reason that they put that in the operators manual.

Wiz,

The motor is made in Italy. You are paying 3 or 4 middle men, probably export tarriffs, shipping and who knows what else.

The starters are cheap compared to what they use to be. You can get them on the net for $200 - $250 aftermarket. I am not saying that is cheap but before they were showing up on the net they were around a 1000.00 dollars. I also found a site over seas that is 1/3 to 1/2 the prize of parts in the U.S. The say on there website they sell all over the world. I am in the process of contacting them now over a few items.

An example. I need an alternator. Here the cheapest I can find is $364 over there it is $115 euros or $151 U.S. I am confident they will sell me the parts.

Ray,

I heard that stuff was on the high side but those are crazy prices.Please keep me posted on your search for another source for less expensive parts.Is ebay NOT an option for somewhat cheaper parts?

It would almost be cheaper to just fly to Italy and ups a bunch of parts home that a guy might need. At least you would get a tummy full of good pasta and an eye full of beautiful women for your money! ;)

Well, I did read about the full throttle and had it in the full throttle position when tring to start it. The stuck valve idea might be something, because it did sound like some "puffing" was going on through the intake when I was cranking. I will take the valve covers off to see. Ray, please let us know if you have any luck getting parts through those guys.

The starter is made by Bosch. I got a solenoid for mine at a automotive electrical shop that does Bosch work for ~$50. I didn't think that was too bad. You might check to see what a rebuild would cost.

Good point CarlH! I was thinking some items have to be able to be rebuilt cheaper locally. Now I am paranoid of having to replace something on my tractor sm02!

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!! I got it to start. A lot of white smoke, but she ran. She would stay running on her own as long as I didn't full with the throtle much. I need a new battery for sure. I used my charger with the booster on to start it.

White exhaust is incomplete combustion. As engine warms up it will disappear. A little shot of ether will help clear it up a bit. Best thing you can do it put it to work if possible.

Originally posted by imn2vws

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!! I got it to start. A lot of white smoke, but she ran. She would stay running on her own as long as I didn't full with the throtle much. I need a new battery for sure. I used my charger with the booster on to start it.

ITS ALIVE!!sm00 Congrats!Pretty darn good feeling when they run for the first time for you!

quote:Originally posted by imn2vws

How hard would it be for me to determine the year of this thing? I know they ony made it for a few years.

id="quote">
id="quote">They were made for the 1986-87 production years. By zeroing in on tractor S/N has been a crapshoot. Original engine S/N's with the exception of these could get zeroed in to a 60-90 day build window.

http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/AC_models.htmhttp://www.simpletractors.com/models/900_series/920_diesel.htmhttp://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/ac_s_pg2.htmhttp://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/s_ac_pg8.htm[18 1/2 HP Diesel] allAllis Chalmers 920DMFR = 1690894Made = 1984-85Simplicity 7790MFR = 1690890Made = 1984-85Deutz-Allis 920MFR = 1691139Made = 1984-85

cover.JPG

I was wondering if you had glow plugs, or a pre-heater, on your 920.

The info in simpletractors.com for the Simp 7790 mentions "pre-heater".

I don't know if that means glow plugs, or what.

I might mean something else. ?

It says for cold weather. ?

under "Battery" here:

http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/7790_diesel.htm

Heavy-duty 12 volt battery combines with thermal start (pre-heater) to give dependable starts in cold weather. Battery features 500 cold cranking rating with 137 minute reserve capacity.
id="quote">

I was wondering if the diesels have a heavier frame than other 700-series or 900-series tractors.?

or if this is simply referring to the type of frame design = 'boxed'.

I might be getting caught up in the clever marketing here - they sure make it sound like they are using tube steel or box channel or heavy iron frame - kinda sorta. I tend to doubt that. Anybody know if the frame is any heavier? or any different? to a regular Sovy of that era?

I suspect it's the same thing - they are pretty heavy already. Does the diesel need more? or use more?