Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PeppyDan

Headlight bar questions, what belongs to what?

PeppyDan

P9220513.JPG

P9220514.JPG

P9220515.JPG

I have two different factory original head light bars from the round hood B series foot draggers. I am under the impression that the one was for the Simplicity and the other was for Allis Chalmers. Is there any other details about these bars that I am missing like was one replaced with the different design after 196x model year? The Simplicity bar requires spacers but they did not come with the one I have. Can anyone tell me the correct size spacer required? I have several of each reproduced and will be selling them on Ebay and here if anyone contacts me and I would like to be able to give correct information regarding both types. Thanks for any help you can give!Dan

P9220513.JPG.6962dd496f51a3acd13a3aabc29a8e6b.JPG

P9220514.JPG.c80d041e66948a3127c9c4477cf73d66.JPG

P9220515.JPG.666272fa44cd682432ef7ea326e5db82.JPG

BLT

I purchased a couple of years ago supposedly from a "B" series, a formed bracket like the one closest to the simplicity lettering. No spacers were with it. I would imagine the spacers are equal to the formed elevation. Can't recall seeing the other type anywhere.

huffy

My LL 2012 has a bar like the one closest to the Simplicity sign. I think it was purchased with the tractor when it was new. There are spacers.

The lightbar on my B12 is identical, but was homemade by someone and given to me by Osenga. For spacers I just used some 5/16" or 3/8" shaft collars, I can't recall exactly which ( just whatever the bolt size dictated.

I'm having a hard time remembering, but I think the reason for the spacers is because of the head of the bolt that holds the top of the grill to the plate that's bolted onto the top of the engine. The spacers put the bar down below the head of that bolt.

Talntedmrgreen

First I've seen on the 'Allis' type. Interesting how they formed the bar to take up the spacing later provided by the bolt spacers. Wonder why the change? Every AC and Simp I've had come thru with a light bar has had the spacer type.

huffy

Dan:I went back through the pics of when I tore down my 2012 and found some showing the grill bolt I was talking about above, and of the spacers used to get around it. Like I said, I didn't have any for the b12 so I used some small shaft collars and they worked just fine:

2012_0212Landlord0003.JPG

2012_0212Landlord0002.JPG

2012_0212Landlord0001.JPG

2012_0212Landlord0003.JPG.33004a7e96a52071f05ce6dbd06b573d.JPG

2012_0212Landlord0002.JPG.459bb35489f61674cbf09c5f9ca92f12.JPG

2012_0212Landlord0001.JPG.631d36ad0b9a33e2228bea5a04145395.JPG

PeppyDan

Thanks for the Help so far. I forgot to mention that mine are laying upside down and the painted ones are the reproductions with the originals being the unpainted parts.

Huffy, I look at the bottom pic of yours and I see what looks to me like the bar with the offsets like the Allis bar. can you verify this is not my imagination?

Dan

huffy

Gee, I could have sworn I remembered them both being the same. But looking at the picture again, it looks like my memory fooled me. I'll look at the tractor tonight when I get home to make sure.

huffy

Well, I checked. Sure enough, my memory had betrayed me.

The one in the pics I posted is on my 2012 LL. It's like the one by your Allis sign. It was on there when I bought the tractor a few years back, and I have no idea if it's original or not.

The one on my B12 looks like the one next to your Simplicity sign. Osenga gave it to me, and I think he said he either made it or had it made. That's the one that I used shaft collars for spacers. The one on the 2012 had the spacers shown when I got it.

Lpoke like, in the end, all I did was confuse things more instead of help. Usual, for me, I guess.

PeppyDan

I got the Allis version from Osenga and I hoped Brain would chime in to help me remember the details of the bar. About all I remember was that he said it was the Allis light bar.

Dan

huffy

I just noticed that if you go to the Allis page, click on B attachments, and then click on options, there's a light bar laying with the other stuff on the brochure page. The pic is too small on my phone to tell for sure, but it looks like it might be the style you have marked as Allis. I didn't see a pic of a light bar in any of the brochure pages.

Was one necessarily for Allis and the other for Simplicity, or did both have both types of bars? Perhaps one type was just a later design or something.

PeppyDan
quote:Originally posted by huffy

I just noticed that if you go to the Allis page, click on B attachments, and then click on options, there's a light bar laying with the other stuff on the brochure page. The pic is too small on my phone to tell for sure, but it looks like it might be the style you have marked as Allis. I didn't see a pic of a light bar in any of the brochure pages.Was one necessarily for Allis and the other for Simplicity, or did both have both types of bars? Perhaps one type was just a later design or something.

id="quote">
id="quote">That is kinda what I was thinking and it would make sense but they did use different parts like the grill to make Allis look different than Simplicity so it is possible that it was Allis specific.Dan

PeppyDan

I just looked at the options for the Allis and the headlight bar shown definitely is like the one I have marked Allis.

On a side note, I never knew the center pto was optional?sm00. I just assumed that it was standard equipment!

Dan

ReedS

I think I've sold Brian both an original Simplicity (bottom in photo) and a reproduction of the same. I had had a small batch of them made up about 10 years ago, finally sold the last one a year or two ago. All of the originals I've had 1/2- 5/8ths spacers between the grill and bar.

osenga

Huffy that light bar you got from me was the one I get from Reed

Dan the allis bar was a option back in the day. I asked about that when I bought my B12 PO bought this tractor new and had the hydro lift hi/lo and lights and these were all from the factory from back in the good old days

So yes the allis bar is/was a option back then

osenga

And I hope this is not like the first time alot of you have saw the allis style one because I have watched several of this style sell on eBay over the last few years. And the was another member I think that has made this style in the past because I have got a coue off him. RayS may beable to chime in on this cause he told me about him

PeppyDan

Thanks for refreshing my memory Brian. I was thinking it came on your B-12 which would put it as the later design on round hood tractors. Now to try and pinpoint when they stopped using the other style.

Dan