Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

electrical problem ?

DMKNLD

MTF Member # 41432

Default ignition switch / electrical problem ?

Finally got some Simplicity seat time this aft with the first plowable snow in Maine, but after about 15 mins of snowblowing my 7114H died on me. I try to restart it - no starter click, no movement on the ammeter, nothing. So I wait 10 mins or so and then it fires over - I'm thinking I had a relay reset, then it dies again when I go to lift the blower w/ the electric lift. Same deal, I wait 5 or 10 mins and it fires back up and runs fine for the rest of the 1 1/2 hours it takes me to clear the driveway and front yard parking access.

Is my ignition switch maybe starting to go bad with the intermittent failures I had, or maybe something else electrical is on the way out ?

midnightpumpkin

It sounds to me like something is shorting out to ground and the circuit breaker is doing it's job.

The original post implies that engaging the electric lift caused the engine to quit. If that is the case, I would trace out all the wiring associated with the electric lift, looking for bare or nicked wires.

Do not bypass the circuit breaker, you are asking for burned wires if you do.

You could replace the circuit breaker with a like one, it would then tell you if it is the circuit breaker or something downstream.

John U

7114 has a Kohler engine that needs power for the coil. An interuption of power will automatically kill the engine. My gut feeling is the electric lift is taking a high draw popping the breaker.

• 2 weeks later...

After procrastinating on troubleshooting my electrical glitch, tomorrows pending New England storm pressed me to get the creeper out and check out the electric lift wiring, as many of you suggested. Sure enough, the lift actuator had a 1 1/2" section where the hot wire had been rubbed through the insulation and cut about 1/2 the strands, I'm guessing where it had rubbed against a pulley on the belly mower over the summer. 2 mins and a heat shrink splice and it was good to go!! Simple fixes are the bomb. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Wish MY fixes went so easy. Glad to hear the experts on this site (not me) helped you out with your issue. Good luck and have fun moving snow.

Wiz