Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Preparation for Snowmageddon part 1

littlemarv

On the years first snowfall, plowing in the dark looked like this....

darkness.jpg

So, I finally finished the cutout panel for the headlights. Got all the O.E. parts from a member in N.Y.

parts.jpg

Started to install, didn't get too far when the bosses showed up.

super.jpg

Its a good feeling when your kids put on the boots and snowpants to go outside and help with the Allis rather than watch the idiot box..Everything bolted up real nice. I like engineering things, but sometimes bolting on O.E. parts is just as satisfying. (Usually fit better too).

underhood.jpg

Heres the fuse and lighted switch

fuse.jpg

Now for the moment of truth

super after.jpg

"Can we go for a ride in the dark?"Here's what plowing after dark looks like now...

brightlights.jpg

Compare the first and last picture- they are taken from the exact same spot. (Neighbors Christmas lights came on though)Much better. This tractor is a tank. Last time I was pushing 7" of wet heavy stuff with no problems, even without chains. Let it snow....and snow... and snow...

tank.jpg

darkness.jpg.0f72fbcb04db7bb953d8a01cb1c63dd5.jpg

parts.jpg.2822fddaaccf7899662a45c8da20cf8e.jpg

super.jpg.ba16791751f21beeb3014d080e4cb409.jpg

underhood.jpg.349ff603baeef812683523940ac1ff50.jpg

fuse.jpg.c689077d34e726515f3bedfcd909ea89.jpg

57e0574957268_superafter.jpg.19dc710fe563bbe63535d6b313596b9c.jpg

brightlights.jpg.2851eae3baf451159ace27ac4b01b383.jpg

tank.jpg.26ba440fe49c044373e96b3571f125ec.jpg

Cute kids. Good job on the lights. Moving snow at night is some of my preferred seat time. Well, at least for the first few snows. By mid February or so I'm day dreaming about mowing in the nice warm sun.

I can't believe you had 7" of snow. There's nothing here, which is fine w me. My grass is green, and maybe even trying to grow. I did the late fertilize late in November. We have had +6C, or about 42*F, and on and off rain for a week and a half. Today was sunny and +4C. The socalled storm, they are predicting an inch, at night on Friday. Nothing-mageddon = more like that.

I always enjoy reading the adventures of littlemarv. sm01.

Nice headlights. My headlights work; but are mainly kinda dim and kinda yellowish. They help me find my way home from the forest, and I mowed with them one time. But they aren't bright white like yours. I am wondering if a bulb change might help. or maybe heavier wiring.

I was wondering if your lights are that bright on idle, or if you rev up.

"Lighted switch"? Is that the light on the dashboard? cool. I just have a toggle, and it seems I have to grope to find it. No biggy; but more bling is good.

They are that bright at idle. The switch has a red LED that turns on when the switch is on. I found it in my toolbox at work.

We got quite a bit of snow today, blew it with the 611 and then scraped it clean with the 416. That was right before supper, now the wind is blowing so hard you can't hardly tell I was out there.

Oh well, more seat time tomorrow...

thx RyanYeh, my headlights kinda suk. I guess they are known for it - the kinda dim and yellow, and they vary w engine speed.The 716 has a split circuit alternator. Lights are run by alternator - won't work without eng running, and don't use batt power at all. Kinda good, kinda bad.At ops speeds, they are bright enough to be of service - but side by side w yours, they wouldn't offer much. They work - but it's funny, I throw the switch, wait about 2 seconds, and they come on. At idle it's like flicking a bic lighter. Better than no lights. I don't know if wires and bulbs would change anything. I kinda like low "mood" lighting - but that's for indoors! sm01The bulbs are not originals, strange shape, kinda flared out shape like (see below) (sorry no pix). I put them together by combining parts from my former parts tractor. Took the best lenses, etc. and reinstalled the lesser parts in the parts unit. these bulbs barely fit in the lens section. yeh, maybe the bulbs. I think led marker (trailer) lights would be brighter. The price was right.___\_/.=.bulbs are shaped like this 'keyboard' drawing. sm00sm01A pix from a sunny day, couple years ago.

02-resize.jpg

02-resize.jpg.40c1831f93067f0814f2968e658082a4.jpg

littlemarv you need to rotate those bulbs, and retainers 90 degrees counter-clockwise.. If you are using a 4411 bulb it puts out a trapozoidal light beam so it needs to be properly indexed. So both of your light retainer indexes should be facing to the left...

O.K. - when I get a chance, I will check the bulb number. Otherwise, they work great the way they are now.

When I was putting them in, I noticed the tab on them and I thought

"I wonder if these go a certain way..."

Thanks for the tip.

On the tractors with split circuit lighting aly. you can use low amp draw LED headlights and wire them to the DC side of the system and not overload anything. The right LED's will be brighter than old style incandecent bulbs on top of supplying them with a good 12VDC. You'll be much happier.

• 2 weeks later...