Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bad coil???

Kenh

Well.... My "new" 7119let me down this morning. It was running kind of rough so I installed new plugs and checked the point gap. the points were almost closed up so I thought I found my smoking gun. The engine would start and idle just fine but no high speed. It would just misfire and smoke (black). I'm 95% sure it's a bad coil. Had the same thing with the Onan in my skid steer.

I'm taking the coil to a shop tomorrow that has a coil tester to confirm the problem.

Just had a call from the shop.... VERY bad news. If it is the coil, they are in the $200 range!!! I guess we wait and see....

Ken

I found a supposedly new OEM coil for $75 & $8 shipping at Pats Small Engine up in the Twin Cities, MN.

Here is the link http://www.psep.biz/store/small_engine_parts.htm?gclid=CNvf0brxq7QCFeuPPAodPnwAAQ

They seem to have very good prices on many items and the $8 shipping is for most orders. I'll let everybody know when I get it if it is in fact OEM. OH, my old coil is bad. One spark every once in a while out of one side and a "few" sparks out of the other.

Ken

Ken,

When checking a coil for a 2 cyl Kohler or Onan, you have to have a grounded plug connected to both ends. The coil fires both plugs at once, so there has to be a ground return path for both outputs of the coil.

Just a reminder!

John U

quote:Originally posted by Kenh

I found a supposedly new OEM coil for $75 & $8 shipping at Pats Small Engine up in the Twin Cities, MN. Here is the link http://www.psep.biz/store/small_engine_parts.htm?gclid=CNvf0brxq7QCFeuPPAodPnwAAQThey seem to have very good prices on many items and the $8 shipping is for most orders. I'll let everybody know when I get it if it is in fact OEM. OH, my old coil is bad. One spark every once in a while out of one side and a "few" sparks out of the other.Ken

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks for the info Ken! I will be sure to add them to my file of inexpensive parts suppliers.

quote:Originally posted by midnightpumpkin

Ken,When checking a coil for a 2 cyl Kohler or Onan, you have to have a grounded plug connected to both ends. The coil fires both plugs at once, so there has to be a ground return path for both outputs of the coil.Just a reminder!John U

id="quote">
id="quote">I had a local shop check with their fancy pants coil checker:) I would hope they know what they are doing.Ken

I finally received my new coil on Monday and it was warm enough in my unheated garage to install it last night. Guess what, same symptoms. Starts and idles fine but won't take throttle. Misses, backfires and will even die. I didn't change the plugs so I'll do that tonight and see what happens.

Just to check my self... the wire from the points should go on the negative side of the coil, Correct? I do so little points and coil stuff I kind of forget:I

I suppose I could have gotten a bad coil??? It looks just like the original coil with the same type of markings on the bottom. My best guess is from the OE manufacture.

I'm hoping it's just fouled plugs.

Ken

Ken

I had problem like that with my 7117 17 hp kohler, it would idle but once you gave it some gas it would skip and backfire and surge on the governor. Ended up being the carb although I put a kit in it. I put a known good carb on it and it runs fine. Sent the old carb out to a shop to be rebuilt ad it still does the same thing. Got mad at it and threw it in a bin and brought a different carb for the tractor I robbed one off. So if you happen to have a different carb I would give it a try.

quote:Originally posted by dynodave

points..coil.. what no $3 condenser?sm02

id="quote">
id="quote">How many of those $3 condensers do you have to sell? My "extra special" price at the local NAPA is $17 & change. Retail is $23:OOf course the NAPA I stopped at is not my usual store. I may get a better deal at my regular store??? Can't afford to buy from my work place either:(Is there a electronic module to replace the points and condenser on these KT19's? Seems like I read that someplace???? I'm probably wrong though!Oh the joy's of owning "old iron":DKen

Originally posted by Kenh
quote:
id="quote">http://tewarehouse.com/Catalog/0551 well $3 to $10 depending....Any engine I own with points I try to keep a new cap on the shelf. I only have briggs and tecumseh and a few old points chainsaws, but I keep one or two for "just in case" almost any .22uF 400-600 volt ignition cap will be good for trouble shooting anyway......

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Finally success. I bought a new condenser and installed it tonight. To bad work has to get in the way of playing with our toys! Our Brother Ray offered to sell me a new condenser for a pretty good price but I found one local for only a $1 more so I went that route. Besides I have a local neck to wring if I need to.;)

OK back to the subject.. New coil, new condenser & plugs. I did clean the carb while it was down. It runs like a $110 now, well maybe several $100:D

I do have a couple of oil leaks. The BGB has a drip and I think the seal under the flywheel is leaking. The bearing on the BGB input shaft is tight so a new seal should fix it. Both will wait until spring when it is warm out.

WHOOO HOOOO :D:D

Ken