Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Setting points

SmilinSam

The K321 I have in my Sunstar seems to be tryinng to fire before it reaches tdc, as it seems like it pushes back against the starter when it fires. At that point it stops the starter and you have to start cranking again.

I am assuming my new points are out of adjustment as the engie ran fine with the old points, other than they were burnt pretty bad.

Opinions?

Also just for the sake of knowing, if this is the case which way moves the timing towards tdc from too early? open them more or close them more?

rokon2813

I don't know the answer but your making me think too early in the morning.

Its been so long since I looked at a kohler I can't even remember what the points look like, so I'm picturing briggs.

I would say close them, since closing them effectively moves the stationary portion of the points further from the camshaft, making the plunger travel a bit further before the points open enough to fire.

Or ignore me since I'm still half asleep.:D:D

Bob, even with a compression release bump on the cam, isn't there still some kickback if the engine isn't spinning fast enough, since checking for kickback is how you check the compression according to Briggs??

So Sam, is your battery spinning it fast enough?

SmilinSam
quote:Originally posted by BLT

If that has a compression release, there would be no kickback so to speak, correct?

id="quote">
id="quote">It cranks over just fine like my other working kohlers, so I assume the release is working Ok. I can crank it fine through the compression stroke with the fuel off so it wont fire. Turn the fuel on, and when it tries to fire it stops the starter in its tracks.Battery is (was) up and was cranking at same speed as my other Kohlers crank and start on. Like I said, the engine has run and done work. No other abnormalities noticed.I'm a humble parts changersm01 not a diagnostic techniciansm00

Tom45

Some time ago Al did a writeup where he used a test light to set the points on a Kohler from the mark on the flywheel. Basically, when the points open determines when the spark occurs. You might be able to search for this and adjust the point gap.

Tom

littlefan

there is a hole in the flywheel backing plate when you lok at flywheel though hole you will see two marks on flywheel one for tdc and ome for static timeing (s) center s in hole remove wire at points and retiten screw with self powered test light open points till light just goes out and tighten reatach wires and your good to go

Brettw

For whatever reason, I had a K301 that the compression release failed. Unfortunately it was internal of the engine to fix, and it was just a long armed, fairly light, spring that came unhooked. Trying to start that engine without the compression release was incredibly difficult, even in warm weather, with a great battery and a good starter. It acted like it was out of time, poor starter, bad battery, etc. It took a while to figure it out, but that was absolutely the issue. Just some info to chew on if you can't find other problems.

MikeES

I have found that maybe Kohler was a little lax in some of the work on their engines. I know as tractor pullers they degree the flywheel and find the factory flywheel marks all over the place ( I suspect they had a loose jig that they use to mark the flywheels). So don't use a timing light unless you have degreed the flywheel. What I have found with 5 different Kohlers is that the point have to be set different for each one. From .0016 to .0021 If you are getting kickback change the points from .0020 (factory recommendation) to .0018 and see what you get.

MysTiK
Originally posted by Tom45

Some time ago Al did a writeup where he used a test light to set the points on a Kohler from the mark on the flywheel. Basically, when the points open determines when the spark occurs. You might be able to search for this and adjust the point gap. Tom

id="quote">Al's comments here:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122483also here:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121806

acfarmer

Since it ran and started fine before you put in the points then I'd stick with that area to trouble shoot.I'd pull the points off and inspect everthing especically the pin that fires the points it may have gotten out of whack some way and cause the points to fire off early.Point sets these days are cheap built and a problem on a regular basis, I run across problems all the time on large tractors.