Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spill proof gas cans

RickS

Hi,

My wife tried to fill our walk behind snow blower and managed to spill most of the gas all over the motor. Next she tried holding the nozzle of the gas can only to soak her gloves with gas. Next she spent five minutes complaining about the gas cans and all the things that can go wrong.

So does anyone have a new gas can that does not spill. All I have are the new ones that require one to push the end of the spout into the gas can nozzle to allow the gas to flow. Many times this slips and you have to reset the spout. Plus this method puts a lot of stress on the gas tank of the tractor, snow blower and the like.

I do agree with my wife these new style gas cans are no good.

thanks

Rick.......

I almost had my wife talked into one of these before the big snow storm. I suspect I'll end up with one before spring. It is a flow and go from Tractor Supply and holds 14 gallons.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/scepter-duramax-flo-n-go-14-gal-cap--3001403

Bit pricy at $100 but sure makes filling up a lot less messier in my opinion.

I used a new style once, and threw it away. I pick up every old style I can find. must have a dozen or so by now, different sizes from 1 gallon to 5.

I would say remove the spout and use a funnel :D

I think with the new regulations, only new style can be purchased anymore.

There are some other styles out, one with a lever to allow flow and another with a thumb button. No idea how well they work though

Hello,I to was frustrated until I bought a giant funnel, I keep it with the gas cans for easy accessibility. I still like the old steel gas cans!

Thanks

Ken in Mi

Chris, does that have a pump in it, or do you need to lift it above the level of your tank for gravity feed?

Not sure I want to lift it full, nor have it sitting on a bench or table to use it.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

There are some other styles out, one with a lever to allow flow and another with a thumb button. No idea how well they work though

id="quote">
id="quote">They don't. Just as bad as the kind Ricks talking about. I just throw the nozzle away and use a funnel. Since a full 5 gallon can is kind of heavy, your wife might find it easier to just set the can down and use one of those pump thingies like they sell for kerosene.

I use a lot of gas over a mowing season, these "NO spill" gas cans are the best that is available. The 2.5 gallon is easy to handle for me, I would guess the One and 1/4 gallon would be better suited for your wife. I have 2 - 5 gallons and 3 - 2.5s. and would not have anything else.

There not 100% fool proof but close.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00107247/k-G3960397?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CNX3uKnwq7QCFYs7MgodOnwA0Q

The 14 gal flo n go is gravity fed. The info below is from the companies website. I have 3 Allis's, ATV, push mower and snow blower so this style I think will fit my needs well.

DuraMax is a large, portable fuel container on wheels designed for industrial, commercial, and recreational applications. It is a safe, fast, and convenient way to refill gas-powered tools, lawn tractors, boat engines, generators, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc.

The DuraMax is ideally suited for farm and rural use as well as cottage and marine applications. Made from high density polyethylene, the DuraMax fuel container is resistant to corrosion and denting. Its sturdy six-inch wheels and extra-deep handle make it easy to deliver fuel dockside when refueling boats or powered water craft.

The patented gas pump handle allows you to eliminate spillage and overfills by stopping and restarting the flow of gas. Stand the DuraMax vertically when refueling gas powered engines. It has a flow rate of 2 gallons per minute in siphon mode.

Two shut-off vales, at both the tank and hose connector, make it safe and easy to disconnect the Flo n' go pump for refilling and transportation.

The DuraMax includes a 14 gal. (53 L) fuel container with the patented Flo n' go Maxflo siphon/pump and a 10 ft (3 metre) hose.

This isn't by a long shot spill proof, but has spring loaded shutoff. http://www.labonville.com/Briggs-Stratton-2-US-Gallon-Plastic-Gas-Can--W228_p_662.html .Press down on filler neck with spout and fluid starts and when it gets close to full, just pull out. I have a 5 gallon supply can that I keep my 1-1/4 gallon container supplied with. Something that my wife can handle if need be.

I like my old 5 gal can,when the gas spews out all over

I know its full.:D

I'll bet the gas I spilled over the last 40 years would

last last me through 2 or 3 mowing seasons.

Anyone ever hear about an old fashioned way of moving liquids from one container to another called "siphon". IS what I do most of the time. I have several gas cans, from the OSHA safety can which is the least safe can I can imagine to a simple spout on a metal can, to the 'spill-proof' cans available above. I think I might not have a spill proof left as I think I gave my last one away after its first use.

Why not go all out, get a barrel, a transfer pump and a dispenser similar to the gas station? Just remember to stop close to it just before you run out of gas.

I have a situation where I carry gas every day I work in the summer. Having a 2.5 or 5 gallon sitting on my open trailer is a invitation for finding it gone if I turn my back. So My gas is stored inside my truckster I mean SUV, Ford Expedition. I have tried all brands and even the best of cans metal or plastic with good or poor spouts, over time they will not hold a good seal and leak out vapors when hot. Having gas inside a enclose SUV is NOT a good thing on a hot day that is leaking gas vapors.

The no spill can I am using even after 4 years will not leak gas vapors inside my truckster or attached shop. For me this is as important and its ease in pouring.

One down side is it is not set up well of use a a emergency gas can to fill automobile takes. The neck it to short to fit inside the filler on most newer vehicles. They do make or advice a small tube to reach into the filler. I have used a regular long neck funnel.

I have an old 5, and a 1 gal for 2-stroke. I pack a few mls of 2-stroke oil so I can mix right now. My rule of thumb is to always have SOME gas in the 5 gal. Both have simple vents. I keep both in my truckbox toolbox that installed behind cab, front of truckbox - on hot days, there's fumes, cos I leave the vents slightly open.

The 1 gal is easy to handle, and I often use it without the spout, and just pour.

The 5 gas full is as heavy as I want to lug. I use it for the traxtor, but not w the handle. I tilt to almost pour, grab the lower edge, hold the spout slightly bent in the gas tank with my other hand, and pour. I learned this by pouring gas all over the hood a few times.

At the gas station, I fill the 5 gal partly, lift it w my free hand, fill some more, etc. until it starts to feel heavy (just over half full). That's easy to lift into the truck toolbox.

Funnels are good except you can't see how full things are. Unless you check.

Most of this is rocket science, huh. It's messy, smelly, flammable, etc. That's a lot of variables to control. But somehow the world got this far. I appreciate the danger. I don't appreciate excessive legislation waiting for the world to wake up and tune in. And like others, I have "parts gas cans" to support my olde style stuff.

I suppose if spill proof includes fire and explosion proof, then that's a good thing - but I'm not hearing that directly. Meanwhile I bought my dad a new can - I only know it has a child-proof button on it, which is good. But after this read, I need to find out what I gave him.

also - walmart wanted $double$ for a similar can - maybe it had more 'green tek', I dunno.

There's also the world of smoke detectors that go off every time I open my kitchen oven, or whenever they feel like it. All this automatic safety stuff does not increase safety awareness necessarily. And then there's the seat nannies on the traxtors - I don't have those either. I really don't know what to make of most of this - I tend to view it all as a pita. I am responsible for my own personal safety, and no legislation can ever change that, or do as good a job. Others may not agree, np. Too much of this is deemed really cool; I see it as babysitting; and keeping the world pathetically dependent. There's money in it - that I can see - replacing a zillion gas tanks is likely a big industry. I'm just really tired of infinite bs that's endlessly supported by the oh so nice do gooders who have no sense of personal boundaries. I remain, doing the best I can, always. They should realize the same - for themselves. Legislate that - all in favour say 'gas tank'. It's a gas tank any way you rebuild it. I will return to my tree hut now to enjoy the view. Count me w the old tek hoarders, and the garage sale crawlers - or any other group that's free to think and be creative - cos following rules, is just that - fast asleep, not disturbing anything. Legislation does not stop anything - except the real stuff that needs to be reawakened. Time is running out, there are only so many possible opportunities. esp. on the big issues. this is a mere nag in the big pix. end of sermon.

I hope I can find some of the old style cans. Have, had, 2 different styles of the new cans and have to remember to bring a funnel along. Use the cans a lot as we heat new homes with portable heaters till the sheetrock is primed and funnels sit at angles and the guys spill too much. Sometimes new and improved isn't "improved".

Hi,

We sell a can that we get through our Stihl Supplier. It has a push button in the back of the nozzle and you hold the button in for the gas to flow. When the gas gets to the top, let go of the button and it is shut off.

Al Eden

:D:D Al, I know you don't usually advertise or push products in this forum but is there any chance of some pics and price of can. Or a link to an advertising brochure. Thanks. Dave