Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

deutz allis 1920

buckdan

I purchased a Deutz Allis 1920 ultra last fall. The seller seemed to think it was 1991 model. How can i find out for sure what year it really is? Catalogue number is 1691020, serial number is 011270.

Thanks.

Thanks Bob,

I did not think it was a 91, and it is a 20 hp.

Currently I am trying to restore it. Bad motor mounts, flywheel alternator was shot. Can you believe the magnets were all broken as well as the stator lead being severed, had no charging circuit. what may have caused the magnets to fly apart? Bought a new flywheel and motor mounts and looking forward to have a charging circuit. Next will be the hydraulics, seems to be losing pressure.

http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/s_ac_pg9.htm1691018 = SunStar - 1691020 = 1920 ____ 20 HP Twin Kohler.http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/s_ac_pg11.htm1691381 = SunStar - 1691392 = 1920 ____ 20 HP Tractor HydroPix of 1987 Deutz Catalogue showing Model 1920

front_cvr.jpg

Pix of Combined Replacement Sunstar ManualList of all Sunstar MFR's - shows only 2 Model "1920" MFR #'s - one is a Magnum, one is a Command.

SunstarResize-1.jpg

That manual, in "specs" only mentions the Command engine. But it is well known that the original engine was a Magnum 20hp.If your 1920, has a Kohler Magnum Twin 20hp - it's at least a 1987, although it could be as late as 1991, when Magnum was replaced with Command. You can only narrow this down by using the model/spec/codes off the tags on the Magnum engine, and then digging in to manuals to find a translation CODE for the Kohler engine numbers - that's the most accurate.If your 1920, has a Kohler Command Twin 20hp - it's a 1992 or later. Not likely with MFR 1691020 - this was the first Deutz MFR # to appear in the "X-REF" tables in www.simpletractors.comFrom the thread "Years of Sunstars", you can find this info; but only in reference to specific "Simplicity tractors". Again the Kohler engine codes are key to nailing the date down nearly exactly.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121347&SearchTerms=Years,SunstarsSimplicity, AC, and possibly Deutz-Allis as well, was known for using the same MFR over several model years. Also the "serial number" is just about useless, due to no reference info, UNLESS you perhaps have 2 identical tractors side-by-side, in which case, you could argue that one is older/newer than the other.So, it's likely late 80's - but get the Kohler codes and find a manual with a translation for those codes.The good news is you have a 20hp Sunstar tractor, which means you very likely have all the best features. The 18hp models did not have most of the 20hp features. Also for one year only, they made 14 and 16hp sunstars - these were more like Sovereigns and were essentially economy models designed to boost sales. This is mentioned in the Simplicity HISTORY section - an interesting read, which outlines the deluxe features of the 20hp Sunstars.http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/history.htmThe thread "Years of Sunstars" - it was hoped would attract more posters with more information to help with questions such as yours, and also clarify some other details. It's still open for posting new replies, if anyone has relevent or interesting facts about Sunstar-type tractors. Sunstar was the predecessor of the Simplicity LEGACY tractor, which still exists today.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121347&SearchTerms=Years,SunstarsAll this is not an easy search; but with enough info, it makes for an interesting trail to find the answers to various questions. Getting it all in one thread = priceless.Good luck with it.

SunstarResize-1.jpg.b062c30cdba474235c25d1dc21c3577f.jpg

What I posted is largely theoretical. It would be good to know if your "Spring Green"id="green"> painted Sunstar has most or all of the specs that typically were standard ONLY on the much desired 20hp models. It should have most of those toys mentioned in the History section. If it's a complete tractor, they should be there. They are hi-tek traxtors, and use shaft drive on the main attachments. They weigh near half a ton. Parts are valuable.

The flywheel (etc) damage, I'm no expert there. Wondering if something blew or perhaps more likely some hakker was in there an blew it, or left a spare wrench, or a hammer, lying around. 8)

Pix would be interesting - you can "link" pix to this site fairly easily through 'photobucket'. Or if you become a paid full Club Member, you can post directly. Resizing to fit the screen etc is good in all cases.

I'm also very curious if you can track the Kohler engine codes. The translation codes could appear in an owner's manual, or you can goto Kohler site, and download Engine Manuals, usually free, and for Operator, Repair, Parts separate manuals.

Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Deutz-Allis, Agco-Allis, etc. - it's all connected to SIMPLICITY - read the History Section, it's an interesting story. These are high quality tractors built to last. This site simply makes them last even longer. That's the name of the game, not to mention, all the stuff you can do with these tractors, esp. if you can find attachments. The parts are out there. There are classified ads here, also Kijiji and Craig's List - and you can contact Simplicity Dealers in your area. It all began just over the border, a few hours drive from you, in Wisconsin. Plus, you might find other Simplicity enthusiasts in your area, esp. since you are not far from "WinterPeg". :D

My "spring green" sunstar is fully equiped. Hi-lo, diff lock, double braking, and power steering. I have the 60" mower, and 38" tiller. Overeall it is in decent shape. Magnum 20 runs well, awesome power!

I am digging around the Kohler site to find the exact year, but no luck.

Possibly mice used to live near the stator and ripped apart the magnets.

I'll be submitting some pics soon, currently I have it stored in the shed.

Hey, buck.

Looks good.! Glad to hear you have all the bells and whistles - including diff lock - they don't all have that feature. dOd

If you have questions, just ask - someone usually knows - and there are many members with a lot more experience than lil old me. I just have a kinda special interest in Sunstar traxtors. Maybe I will own one someday. Several other members do own one, or maybe more. Some members can't look at a tractor without buying it. :o

sm01Welcome aboard as a full fledged CLUB MEMBERid="red"> sm03

- I noticed you have a "badge" now - that wasn't there earlier.

You can now access any and all areas of this site. Have a good time. Check out the TekTips forum - some great simply HOT info there.

Later,

Graham

Thanks Graham,

I will have many questions as soon as the warmer weather comes around to these parts. My priority now is to get the charging circuit functional, then I am going to tackle the hydraulics.

This tractor lacked maintenance when I bought it. I plan on restoring it mechanically.

You have a few of them??? Must have surplus parts?

Right now I am replacing the motor mounts, flywheel alternator. Possibly the fuel pump, having a hard time starting it.

Any tips in starting this beast?

For working on all my small tractors and engines I have a small gas tank with a line on it and I usually Vice Grip it to something higher than the carb and then hook the line from the tank to the carb if it starts then then the problem is in the fuel line.

Right now I have 2 18HP, 6 20HP ones that are runners, 2 18HP

parts tractors and 1 more 20HP that could go either way.

The thing is, I was tilling in the fall with this machine. It sat for 2 months now and can't get it started. I have fuel in the bowl. I am suspecting the ignition module. Have you had any of these short out, or open circuit.

I'll try the elevated fuel to the carb and see if she fires up, Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack your repair process and Questions.

I'm going to link to this thread in the 'Years of Sunstars' thread - just because of the identification process that I used to attempt dating it.

Someone indicated the Kohler repair manual has the [engine code translation keys] in it. (in another thread)

It was fun tracing the year of this tractor; but with trying to show HOW I got there, and posting pix, and posting links, and babbling excessively (who me?), it took a couple hours to put it all together and show the logic I used too. omg.

So I don't want to do that again; but it was fun. And I want to leave a trail for someone else to follow in identifying their tractor. These questions pop up a lot!

Also will post a link to that Replacement Manual that has all the MFR's on the Front Cover.

Back to you, buckdan. sm01 Sounds like you are making progress and coming up with more questions. Ask away. or start new threads for different questions. I hope you get the help you need. Enjoy your membership in the club. sm01

thx.