Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LED Lights

rich_kildow

Unfortunately, we got grazed by the crazy snowstorm last week...still not enough to snowmobile. It got me thinking that I would really like some more light for the 3am, gotta clear the driveway to make it to work sessions. LED is the obvious answer for lifespan and least load on the charging system. I already have a nice switchbox installed in the cab with room for 5 switches, so it is just a matter of deciding how much output I need.

I've saw a review on another tractor site for something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-27W-LED-Work-Light-Lamp-Wrangler-Offroad-Forklift-Bowfishing-ATV-Flood-Spot-/281038513969?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416f336731

Does anybody have any experience with this types of work lights and have any suggestions or recommendations? Is 27W a decent amount of light and can the charging system handle it? Will I need to run these with a relay?

See if you can find out how many Lumens those lamps have vs. the typical incandescent headlight bulbs. I think 4011 is the common one?? (somebody will correct if not) If they have the same or more light output that the old bulbs and use less juice then its a slamdunk. Good luck sm01

PS; 27watts is fine...watts/volts=amps...(27w/12v = 2.25 amps) so even 2 bulbs is only 4.5 amps way under the 10amp min. charging system output. No relay needed if you use a good switch with 10a or greater rating (in case you add work lights, etc)

From what I've seen on other identically spec'd lights, these should put out somewhere around 2000 lumens each, which seems to be pretty close to 4011 halogen bulbs. I think I'll give it a shot and post my results. its about time I figure out how to post pictures.

I've recently seen forklifts with these, and also with incandescents. The ones with leds are a lot brighter - I don't know what wattage they use on them - but they are too bright to look at directly. Even when they are far away, you can see them coming, still too bright to look at. And the light is clean clear almost bright white-blue, so it seems. I think those will be more than enough. I would be curious to know what wattages produce what intensity (I mean experientially) - but for a GT doing night work in snow, you won't have a lack of light for either seeing or being seen. Seems like a good price too.