Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow prisonerand Merry Christmas

Al

Hi,

We got some very very wet snow Thursday. I was out with the skid loader for 7 hours. Blew a hose and got a hydraulic oil bath in the am. In the afternoon, was piling snow using a big snow bucket as high as I could. It was super full and had a great big chunk roll over the back of the bucket and onto the top front of the cage. The ball broke up and fell in on me like an avalanche. It was so wet and dense it filled the operators area. My feet and legs were like they were encased in cement and I couldn't operate the pedals as the snow went under them and around my legs and feet like I was encased in ice. I had my hands on the T handle and had about 10 inches over my arms and against my chest. I raised my arms and was able to throw that out. Then I could run the T bar to move. Drove over to where my grandson was pushing with a Legacy and loader. He had to get an army surplus folding army shovel from the garage and dig me and my legs out of the operators area. Even had to dig my seat belt latch out. Maybe its because I have a John Deere 125 diesel, an early 80's version. Maybe I should paint it yellow and call it what it is an Owatonna 440D built for JD. After 7 hrs snow moving Thur and 2 Friday, we had to also sell a few snow throwers that had started to get toooo attached to us. So you win a few and lose a few.

Any way, A very MERRY CHRISTMAS or HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all and may you all have a great and prosperous new year. Or HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Al Eden

BE CAREFUL!!!!

Glad your ok...It can be very easy to get hurt...

Yrs ago I was using a skid-loader to push a path thru a woods and a tree branch snapped into the front of the cab...nearly stabbed me :OXX(

Flipped a Bob-Cat on it's side when we building our house (pre '88)!

Ground was too soft to support it! Glad Your OK AL

Merry Christmas

Echoing others, "glad you are Ok".

Like most accidents things seemed to get a little scary. Thank goodness your grandson was there to assist. Plan to get up there in February. Take care.

You can keep all the snow 2 years ago I was digging out from 28" of the stuff and I hate it.All I get from snow is a big diesel fuel bill, broken up equipment and have to feed lots of hay to the cattle.

Al, been there done that! Except I was loading manure into a dump truck! It always takes awhile to get the hang of a skid steer when you haven't run one for some time.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Good you had the grandson around to dig you outdOddOd. We missed most of the last storm as it stayed south of us.Merry Christmas to you and your family and to everyone else.