Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter Gear - Conquest

genesee_john

Have 7 year old 20HP Conquest. Cranks fine on the 1st try. Lately on the 2nd try the starter gear spins but does'nt engage the flywheel. After a few more tries it engages. Have checked every switch with my ohm meter following the repair manual instructions. Has a new Interstate battery. Removed the ground wire underneath and used sandpaper to clean it up. Could it be the solenoid even though it passed the tests?

Thinking about removing the starter and taking it to my Simplicty guy for testing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Remembered one last thing to check. Removed the battery cables and disconnected the cable at the starter today. Was a little messed up. Cleaned with sandpaper. Continuity checked ok. Sprayed electrical cleaner between the shroud and on the gear. Tried starting 4 times off and on with NO problems. Hopefully last until warmer weather! Thanks for replies and HAPPY HOLIDAYS from this old timer.

John

John

Had similar problem with my 2002 Conquest 16-42 w/Briggs Vanguard. Removed and tore starter down, cleaned, lubed, and reinstalled. Starter engaged and started the engine the first time but on subsequent tries the starter would spin and engage flywheel but not turn the engine. Shined up all ground. Replaced battery. Replaced selenoid. After each operation the starter would spin, engage and start the engine the first time on all subsequent tries to the starter would spin and engage the flywheel but not spin the engine.

I bought a cheap v/ohm digital meter from O'Reilly & checked all electrical and found all old parts checked good. Bench checked the starter and it showed rpms correct.

Finally I ordered a China made starter (45-1009) from Tulsa Engine Warehouse for about 1/4 price OEM. That cured my starting problems.