Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowstorms - Panhandle and Noreaster

BLT

It seems like everything west of Lake Michigan gets the Panhandle Hook and east of said lake, a Nor'easter. Well we go the taste of the hook last week, looks like the east side is going to be belted Wednesday maybe thru the weekend. Welcome to winter. If there is any solace, the days are getting longer again.:D:D

We have added one minute and over here in Maine we are expecting about a foot of new snow on Wednesday night and Thursday, had a dusting today.

Every day is a day closer to spring.

I'm nearly adjacent to said lake, and they say an inch or two...that's an inch or two more than the last storm. Seems I'm in the lee of some very large fieldstone when it comes to snow this season.

It's been in the 20's here every day it seems, and if it's going to be cold, I at least need something to do. Aint gonna happen this time, either...

snowforecastmap_zpsc57a3dc3.jpg

Here (2 hours west of Syracuse) The storm is supposed to start Wednesday evening, 6 to 12 over night, and up to 18 inches before the end of the storm Thursday afternoon.

We'll see what my "lake effect" does for us. And the predicted 40 mph winds.

The Squire is ready and waiting with loaded ags and a plow. I might throw a set of chains on tonight.

And if I can spare an hour, I might swap out the ags from the B12 to the new B10, maybe the wheel weights and a little tinkering, and let it plow a little too :D

Anyone live near Baroda, MI? My wife was brought up there and her folks operated a farm growing berries and grapes her cousin brought the farm and grows wine grapes now. We try to get out there every couple of years, summer 2013 should be the year. I like to go around peach season. Always seems funny to me that they grow peaches in Michigan where it gets so cold and snowy in the winter.

quote:Originally posted by Tonyvdb

Anyone live near Baroda, MI?

id="quote">
id="quote">About an hour south of me. Beautiful area...my wife and I like to take a long weekend once a year and bop around in wine country (pick either SW or NW MI). Between the Lake Perch dinners at the coastal tourist traps, and the MI wines, it makes for quite a busy trip. There are some real neat, small wineries and breweries down that way. Baroda can get hammered with snow off Lake Michigan when the wind is out of the NW.

The weather people here are saying their models test w a high level of confidence for path of the storm - but not for amounts.

They are talking maybe 10cm ish.

but it should have started already, and so far nothing.

we are supposed to get the northern edge of what is supposedly a U.S. storm - and it's all over by tomorrow - so maybe overnight snow.

Had a 1/2" Christmas Eve. Was visiting my dad - the drive home required 4wheel drive. Really slippery and poor visibility. Coming down my hilly driveway, I almost lost it, idling in low-range 1st, and 2nd didn't help either. Finally 4wd brakes grabbed, just as I was contemplating a truck tour of my backyard, at the end of my driveway. That never happened. But the truck usually gets turned around, and it was too slippery to even maneuver without risking hitting the garage - lotsa fun.

Days are noticeably longer - I'm not looking at sunset times, just the fact that it's not totally dark early like it was a few days ago. That's the first sign of Spring for me. Not sure where you get this Winter concept - that was cancelled. :D It's just a little cool and kinda snowy. for now...

Next few days kinda sunny/cloudy. Currently -7*C. I'm staying in and keeping warm. If we get hammered, I will freak out later. sm03

Well, I am east of Columbus. Originally forecast to get 6-8 inches of snow. Didn't stop raining/sleeting until noonish. Snowed like crazy for several hours. Ended up with apprx. 4" of sloppy, wet snow. Wasn't sure how well the tractor would push it. Did very nice. As a youngster, I blew a LOT of snow. Never pushed any. A lot of fun! Wish I had a bigger driveway. Anyway, I snapped a couple pics.

100_5376_zps55d7cc21.jpg

100_5378_zpsc38a1fca.jpg

100_5379_zps0170b8e9.jpg

100_5377_zpsfce960f2.jpg

Actually got about 3" so far here....blew the skimpy estimates away by 300% and still comin down hard. Gonna get some seat time after all!

Turnin in for the night, with about 7-8" on the deck. Quite the suprise. That storm sent out a band that wrapped around, staying over western MI most of the evening...still snowing pretty good.

I pushed it around 8pm, and there was about 4" to play in. Man, did that feel good ^

20121226_200936.jpg

20121226_201253.jpg

20121226_201751.jpg

20121226_201740.jpg

20121226_202909.jpg

20121226_202923.jpg

I'm still sitting here with the same 3"'s of snow that we got back in the beginning of december. From time to time I'll push the snow banks back on to my driveway for practice, but that's getting old....:D

Well, a snowmobile just went by my house at about 75 kph - does that mean something? Looks like it drizzle-snowed all night, with a wee breeze, so some drifts. Likely 4-5"; but there's a 15" drift on my back deck. Still drizzle-snowing. Not wet, just really light, fluff. Great day to be skiing or snowboarding, if you're so inclined. Good snow cover on the runs with an all-day refresh. I remember skiing days like that. Time for another coffee.

There's no slush in what's here - this is pure powder snow. -7*C. It's kinda like a mild 'noreaster'. Winds now shifting to NW. It's basically over real soon.

Thank you all for your contribution - thank you for sharing. Next few days a mix of cloudy sunny. Monday hits the freeze point. 0*C.

The nice part is everything is beautiful white. And it's very quiet with the holiday season and the weird weather. Kinda nice. sm01 I would have to go outside to say more. 8) Maybe later.