Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

We got a little (more)

rokon2813

That looks like fun. I can hardly remember what its like to plow or snowblow a good deep snow fall. (Winter of 2010/2011 was my last snowfall over 4" at once) Hopefully this winter

Nice looking Tractor Dan dOd

Not sure how much we got with the 40 mph winds. I would say 8" or so.

The old Squire didn't want anything to do with the 2' plus concrete drifts without the weights and chains, after that, no sweat. The pile at the end of the driveway by the road is 5 feet high. All the snow on the hitch is what came over the top. :D

My first time plowing with a hydro lift, and I'm not sure I like it. My ground is uneven and not frozen yet, I don't think the hydro "floats" fast enough for me. Gonna swap out the solid lift rod for one that slides before the next storm

Thanks Greg;)

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

I LOVE the (Squire)gold tractor! Looks like you had a little fun!dOd

id="quote">
id="quote">There is a build topic for that thing somewhere. It's not quite "stock" but doesn't look bad since it's about a year and a half old now.

I'm suprised 'float' doesn't perform better with the counterweights, especially with a 42. I use a stinger and doughnut for my 46" and it works real well off-pavement. When they bite into the turf though, it's a PITA.

This is my first year using the front AG's, and wow, that's the way to go! I'm thrilled with the steering aid.

Dan,

I really like that type of hydro lift for plowing. What weight oil do you have in the system? It should float easily if it's working right. You may have a restriction somewhere, or your handle is out of adjustment.That is a nice Squire.

Good luck,

Jim

Jim, it's 30 weight.

Greg 12 hp. It's actually a 2012 dressed in gold ;)

I think it's just that I'm not used to the hydro lift. I'm used to having my hand on the manual lift handle and "feeling" the ground contours with a spring loaded lift rod.

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of 2 problems. 1; too much counterweight for the 42" plow makes the plow too light, and 2; I don't run skid shoes and the ground is not frozen yet..

For the most part it did a very good job. In all my years plowing with a B, this is the first year I ever had the right combination of traction and hard enough snow drift to work the governor a couple times. :o

You can't see through the tire or the snow, but the tires are loaded and weigh 65# each plus 40# of steel weight on each one.

I follow ya! I primarily push over pavement/concrete, and the hydrolift is the ONLY way to go there. I like having the downpressure for scraping, and won't use a spring loaded rod.

For dirt work, I too, found the hydrolift to be a headache, but that was summertime dirt-duty, and I switched the rod over to the RH lift.

You get some good frost in the ground and you can usually run with it. She certainly looks effective!!

I've been using a hydro-lift for plowing for a number of years. I too plow mainly on pavement but have several area's that are dirt or grass. I use no counter weight, the tires are dry, but I run a set of weights. Once the ground freezes I'll use chains. More than 6 inches of snow and I get the blower tractor out.

I do find that plowing with the hydro-lift is a bit different than a manual lift, mainly in that you have plan where you start lifting the blade a little earlier than with a manual lift as there is a bit of a delay with the hydro.

Dan, nice action pics. I can't say that I envy you for that kind of quality seat time.

I run 10W-30 in my hydro lift, but never use a rear counter lift.

It does take some getting use to over the manual lift.

Dan

That bronze round hood sure is a sweet lookin machine! I prefer plowing snow w/my hydro lift equipped early b10 but haven't used a counterweight. Takes a little getting used to but am eager to install the hydrolift I overhauled this summer on the b210. We just need more snow. Got our 2nd one of the winter this morning but it's barely trackable.

got 4 or 5 more inches yesterday, plowed the first in the morning before a christmas party, then cleaned the rest up this morning.Nothing special to take pictures of, so I snapped this one to show how I keep my banks pushed back :D:D:D

snow mountain.jpg

57e05d617b9c7_snowmountain.jpg.bc26a7dcb10d3614b8eb4afc21d6a8b4.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Pure fun! I run right up mine that way too.You got lakefront property there, Dan?

id="quote">
id="quote">Not quite Josh. The lake is across the street obviously, but there is a cottage directly across the street from our house. There are a couple pics of the view from the second floor in my remodeling post in the coffee shop way back.Directly at the end of our driveway, just out of sight in this pic, there are some small fruit trees blocking the view.To the right of this pic, there are 2 houses, on my side of the road, both of which have lake access. We all get along, so we get to use it anyway.From the 2 poles you can see across the street, to the right, I mow that side of the street, for both the neighbors because it is too steep for the CC or JD :D:DThis view in this pic used to be all brush and bushes and small trees. Until a couple neighbors cleaned it up.The water from shore to the island, all the way left in front of the cottage is too shallow for a boat. There was no water and no island to that point until they raised the lake level 18" in the 80's. Past the island it drops to its deepest point of 80 feet.Technically, it is not a lake, but a reservoir. If you look from the right end of the island, to the tree trunk, what looks like a wall on the far shore is the top of a dam for a power plant. The water fall is about 90 feet total I think. Until the 40's or 50's this was a gorge till the dam was built. So the dam is the east end of the lake, the west end is about a mile away it turns into a small river, by 10 miles up its just a small creek.On newer maps, its called Lake Alice, on older maps, Waterport Pond.There is a boat ramp, all summer long you can watch jet skis, water skiers, and party boats. The fishing is good. If the winter is cold enough (not in the last 2 years), once the ice gets thick enough they race motorcycles on the ice.Sorry bout the long winded post. LOL

:o:O Dan, they spelled Lake Allis wrong!! I have tried a plow for snow removal but really prefer the BigTen and blower. I blow all my snow to the south of my east/west driveway into the neighbours field. Leaves no snowbanks to encourage drifts. Dave

Sounds nice Dan! Living on or near the water is fantastic. My grandparents, and now my parents, have a place on the water and it opens up a whole new lifestyle, in summer and winter. We have 4-5 large oval tracks out on the ice each winter, for ice bikes and sleds. They also setup and maintain an icedrags. We chain up the golf cart (now that the sleds are sold) and head over the seawall to go shoot the bull, etc.