Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck ID - Help Please

PhanDad

I can't identify the mfg# for this deck:

IMG_4464a.jpg

(I know it has a "real new", Prestige type roller bar installed)It's definitely a "deep pocket deck" and uses flat blades. I figured it was a mfg #1690272 deck. It's the "oldest" mfg# deck I know of that uses the new "cone type" arbors with splined shafts. But that deck and all other new arbor type decks that I know of have a single piece double pulley for the center arbor. So I figured someone installed an old style 2 piece double pulley on the center arbor. Only problem with that assumption is every deck I know of that uses the two piece double pulley setup uses the old style arbors with keyed shafts. This two piece pulley is definitely splined:

IMG_4471a.jpg

IMG_4472a.jpg

So what deck has a two piece splined center arbor? Maybe not a Sovereign deck?

IMG_4464a.jpg.075f3d7d5f154a905785c704f7fe2aed.jpg

IMG_4471a.jpg.f3563a46df9b9c991c37095d5155c757.jpg

IMG_4472a.jpg.fa2892c3b1d821a0d24f421a7e0cf949.jpg

That kinda looks like the oddball deck with the real long discharge chute.

I was helping someone id their deck a few months back, and found him the numbers. Now I need the numbers, and can't remember who it was LOL

Maybe he can speak up too.

1690272 is my deck - for my LATE MODEL=(post mid77) AC 716H - and it has the cone-shaped arbors + onepiece centerpulley1690021 is NOT my deck - and I plugged in the numbers and got a "deck parts manual" for (must be an EARLY MODEL 7000-series) Simp 7013S - and that deck has the old-style arbors. Including the 2pc center pulley, if I am reading this correctly. It has the bolt pattern same as yours on top of center spindle.I think it might just be a freak. I don't know, or didn't know, it was possible to mix the 2 - perhaps seeing is believing????or maybe there is more to the story????Here's the exploded view of the 1690021 (=48"deck).

1690021oldarbor.jpg

and...I also have a pix of a 990886=48"deck which shows a better drawing - which more resembles the pix you posted. BUT I don't know what tractor this deck was for - the manual is a deck manual only.

990886oldARb.jpg

.This 990886-deck is likely a 3416 circa 1973-74.This tends to indicate a transition from old to new arbors between 1975-77. but not clear on this pulley thing. (?)Not sure any of this helps directly; but it might narrow things down a little bit.:D (golly gee, Bill, I thought you knew everything) :D

1690021oldarbor.jpg.0897ec447ec715f108219c2eff64f7cd.jpg

990886oldARb.jpg.43680b3555f8a4b0e01ceca44a34e63b.jpg

Dan,You're right, the deck came with a big discharge chute, but based on the underlying color, the discharge chute came from a Deutz:

DeckSalePic.JPG

Graham,Your parts schematic of the #1600021 deck show what I stated, the arbors are keyed (part #12) and the shafts are outside threaded and use nuts (part #18) to hold the pulleys on - NOT splined with a center bolt to hold the pulleys on. Hence the mystery.

DeckSalePic.JPG.448dc2298d874a88ea6f8f13265e05bd.JPG

Deutz decided to use up some old parts? and cut/welded/machined to marry the old with the new? nawwww.I've seen stuff like that in computers, with new tek mixed with old ISA parts. can you say ace-rrr?Is this part of "The Test"? :DOn a more serious note: Is this a working deck? and do you know that this deck was actually manufactured this way? or is it the work of the "mad machinist"? or maybe that's the mystery? Were these 3 extra holes always there? or drilled to make the pulley top fit? I'm into "best guess" at this point obviously. Those extra holes don't show on my diagrams, of course. But you seem to be indicating that there's actually another very esoteric "other configuration" available. I give up. I'm watching. 8)

IMG_4472a.jpg

odball1.jpg

Bill, I have one as well. I know I pulled it from a 48" deck years ago. I just assummed it was used before they decided to go to a welded pulley assembly, or they used it briefly until they came up with the one piece, that they use today. More than likely cost more than the welded assembly with stamped pulleys. It was on a early 48" deck with splined arbor because the bottom pulley is the smaller 3.5" pulley unlike the latter welded hub that used a 4" bottom pulley. The spacing of the pulley from the bottom of each is a 1/4" difference as well. The top is drilled and tapped to accept either the early FDT`s pulley or the later RBT`s cast pulley like used on the 3300 and 3400 series.I can`t find it in any of the deck manuals either. I will look through my up fit kit manuals and see if it is any of them.

odball1.jpg.21d58997f22f63a527b0d7630eb60b97.jpg

Except for that center pulley it looks just like the deck I'm rebuilding now from the 7117, deck model 1640502 tractor model 1690571. Mine has the one piece center pulley though

Ray, has it right. I don't know the deck number, but simplicity made a hybrid center pulley assembly because of the weakness in the keyed center pulley. This was a parts upgrade (and maybe sold on some new decks??). This was for the center arbor only.

In the mid 80s my brother in law ruined 2 center drive shafts on his 712 42" deck in one summer, the AC dealer sold him a upgrade center drive assembly that was splined, and was still driving the deck when he sold it 5 years ago.

It looked just like the pictures above. Used your old cast drive pulley and your old blade, the rest came pre-assembled arbor and all.

What's the notch on one side of the esoteric 6-hole special hub? I doubt the mice did it. I thought 'balancer'; but that made no sense. Thanks for your experiences, Mike and Ray. Seems this is a transition piece of history; a line in the sand perhaps.

I have one of those centers too, its part of a Kit, I'll have to see if I can locate the number. I have a couple of decks that had these installed.

I think its kit# 1685083 to convert center arbor in 42" and 48" decks. I suspect the part# on Ray's adapter is 1656516. I also think the long discharge chutes were used on everything from about 1975 and later, as this was to meet safety standards.

Thanks Ray, Mike, and Chris.

Chris nailed the kit #. The install instructions are still available:

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEBGP_eqI2tG5EPa7mRgtLvBCd6

The parts breakdown lists part #1657950 for the adapter rather than the part # Chris listed.

According to the first pages of the kit instructions, a new and improved designed arbor is used to replace the center arbor on 42" and 48" deep deck mowers with mfg #s 990414, 502, 575, 576, 669, 670, 740, 784, 885, 886, 1690021, 0022, & 0252.

So, for my deck, I believe it is a mfg #1690272 deck. I figure the PO of the deck replaced not only the roller bar with an incorrect part, but the center arbor as well. It might have been what he could get his hands on at the time he needed to make repairs. I know what a bear it can be getting the standard one piece splined double pulley off the arbor shaft without bending the pulleys.