Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-12 Purchase

aspeltz1

I'm looking into purchasing a B-12 with a mower deck and a snow blower. I was really looking for one that has a hydro lift and a hi lo transmission. This one has neither. Can you add these options to existing machines if you can find the parts used? Will it look like factory installed with no modifications? Otherwise, I would wait and buy a tractor that has both.

You will likely have trouble finding one with both those features factory installed. If the tractor's in good shape and priced right I'd say go for it.

If the price is right go for it and all the other stuff later. It will all fit in place and look fine as you get the parts. I add the hydro lift as I go to mine and they all look good.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if either option ever came "factory" installed? It was my understanding that at least the hi-lo was always installed by the dealer or purchaser, perhaps with the exception of a few demo units. Am I understanding correctly?

I bought my B12 from the owner that bought it new 2nd of Jan of 67. And he said the lights were on it and the hi/lo and the hydro lift all from the factory installed. Other than that all he did was to mow with it till the day I brought it home and then I had to put a S/G on it cause it was shot and had to pull start it to drive up on the trailer. He said for the price of a new S/G wasn't worth his time and to old to be yanking on a rope to start it

My B12 came from the 2nd owner who got it from the original owner and it came with lights and a Hi-Lo. Working on a Hydrolift next.

Yeah, I know people bought them with the lights, etc, already on them. But I was under the impression that the dealers put these options on, not that they came from the factory with them already on. I seem to recall someone explaining that in a thread a few years back.

These were options,installed by the dealer.

My brother was shop foreman at a dealership and I worked there

part time we installed several Hi/Lows and a lot of headlights.

Both were a lot cheaper new then the used ones are now.:D

I thought hydrolift could be a factory installed deal. Those machines had their own mfg #'s. The manual lift models could also have it installed by the dealer, or owner.

My Big Ten had no yellow paint between the hydrolift and the gas tank/battery support structure. It appeared to have been painted with the machine, from the factory, and the sales reciept called it mfg #2025061, not mfg #2025060.

Josh, the hydraulic lift was installed at factory or dealer. The ones at the dealer had the manual lift handle stub still sticking out. The factory installed units didn`t have the stub of the rockshaft sticking out the side of the tractor. I hsve several of the rockshafts that I removed that didn`t have the manual lift stub.

Lights probably installed by dealer for they wouldn`t break shipped on tractor.

You can still find both hi/lo and hydro lift. I bought the hi/lo from a club member and the hydro lift on ebay. As they say, they don't make those anymore, so you will pay a high price. Hi/lo could be $250 to $400 and hydro lift $300 to $450. To me it was worth it. Now my bigten is complete. Welcome to the club. You will be surprised at the amount of help you can get here.

Welcome Andy,

As you spend time gaining experience on the site, you will find that there are many optional parts for these machines.

Simplicity sold all these extras in kit form. There will be a Simplicity manufacturer number and a manual for the items you desire.

Many of these Mfr. Nrs are listed on Kent's part of the site. Manuals are downloadable right from Simplicity.

Thanks for the input. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet on the purchase. I first need to see how the engine runs, if the mower deck operates, and if the snow blower has all necessary pieces.

If the price is right..I would not wait too long. I have missed on several real deals by waiting too long and have nothing but regrets!. (JMO)

Welcome to the club!

• 7 months later...

I bought a B-12 with mower & snow blower for $250. The tractor has hydraulic lift and has been repainted. The mower is rebuilt & primed. The blower is original. The owner just didn't want to mess with it any more. Fine with me! The tires are poor. Is there a source for original tread tires, or do I need to search for good condition old ones? I would rather buy new.