Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

LED rear utility lamp?

OrangeMetalGuy

I am noticing that even when running at operating throttle, my ammeter shows a slight discharge when (and only when) I have both the headlights and my rear utility light on. I believe the rear light is really sucking up the juice. It's one of those rubber-encased sealed-beam ones.

So, I am wondering if anyone has found an LED-type lamp that throws off a lot of light but cuts the power draw way down? I guess I could also replace the headlamp bulbs with LEDs if there are one out there that would put out the same amount of light.

This is on the 716H.

perry

I run the original headlights on the front and one of those aftermarket rubber encased lights on the back with no issues. all on one toggle switch. amp meter runs further on the + side when i turn the lights on.

I just got a cool small LED strobe light yesterday. hoping to get that mounted today. it has 24 different style strobes to choose from. its off a flat bed wrecker and man is this thing bright for such a little light. might be a little too bright for me, we'll see.

MysTiK

I also have 716. It uses a 'split-circuit' alternator. The headlights (are not very bright - dim at idle speed, not very bright at higher rpm's) but they only use the secondary(?) part of the alternator - they don't use battery power at all. So there s/b no indication via the ammeter afaik.

I am interested in alternatives such as led bulbs, or entire rectangular fixture, to get brighter lighting. As for low power, it's not main issue, but that would just help the split alternator I suppose.

If your rear light is on the split, it should not matter to the battery. But if it's wired into battery power somehow, that could deflect the ammeter.

There are rear lights w led's available. But I find the idea of bulb substitution to be very attractive for the main lights. The lack of brightness should be offset by the low power req's of the led bulb.

My interest = are THOSE available. The stock bulb is like a glorified flashlight type - push and turn to hook it in.

OrangeMetalGuy

Yeah, it's a type 7506 bayonet socket bulb. I would like to go LED but also need bright lights! Some of the LED bulbs I have looked at online look like they would be great head-on, but in the headlamp buckets on our tractors they are at 90 degrees. I'm hoping someone has found ones that work well.

dirtmister16

on the b10

i have grote brand headlights that i bought. the are the stud with 1 wire coming out. they are steel housings with rubber that holds the light bulb on the housing.

my at idle they are dimmer but at working rpms are fine, i notice no power draw on my system at all.

on the 2210 i have stock lights hooked up to a switch but otherwise its stock wired, i notice a power draw when not running the engine. if i run the throttle like normal it seems to stay in the postive.

also this tractor does not have the standard battery, it came with the small lawn an garden type battery someone put in. so that may be why i notice a draw on that stetup.

i have yet to add a rear light to anything, but that may be a differn't story when i do it. i plan to add a rear light to the 2210 when i do ill report what i find, i also have to switch the battery and cables over to stock type.

MysTiK
quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

Yeah, it's a type 7506 bayonet socket bulb. I would like to go LED but also need bright lights! Some of the LED bulbs I have looked at online look like they would be great head-on, but in the headlamp buckets on our tractors they are at 90 degrees. I'm hoping someone has found ones that work well.

id="quote">
id="quote">By "headlamp buckets" I think you mean the pod lights on the sides of the hood. ?? My 716 is a post-mid1977 "later" model - a 1979, and has the headlights in the upper grille area. They are rectangular.

02-resize.jpg

One idea I have is to abandon the (dim, yellowish) stock lights and go with 3 worklights, 2 up front mounted bug-eye style. Another idea is change the stock bulbs to an led, if possible. A third idea is use led trailer marker lights - these, I think, might mimic the original lights, or might even be brighter - something that would fit in, or on, or over the original rectangular mounting holes would be nice. If not marker lights, then a small, more serious led unit would do the trick.With the split-circuit alternator, the lights ONLY work if the engine is running. Key "on" does nothing. Engine must be running, as they are not battery powered at all. An led solution is most attractive, for any application, due to crazy low power req's.The thread linked below, is in TekTips and it's about replacement bulbs for the pod lights, and they are halogen bulbs. You might be interested in those. Available in floods or spots. I wonder if those might squeeze into my 716 original sockets - the "bulbs" I have in their right now are a similar shape to the one's pictured in the linked thread.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123039

02-resize.jpg.692b1506a67aeabf080a75fad6b13d69.jpg

OrangeMetalGuy

Actually my tractors are just like yours shown in the picture. I just replaced one of the bulbs with a new 7506.

Mine are always bright, I just want to be sure that my ongoing current draw isn't overcoming what the charging circuit can put back into the battery.

MikeES

One thing to be aware of with LEDs. They are always very bright to look at, but many LED lights do not put out a usable reflective light. My son has a large LED flashlight that has 50 LEDs on high beam. This flashlight will blind you to look at it but will not light a path much more than 10 ft in front on you.

So some LEDs that are used for clearance lights, and daytime running lights work great because they are easily seen to the human eye but don't necessarily put out a light that lights up the darkness.

MysTiK

Thank you, Mike. That's good info. On another note, my stock lights will not blind you; but I have mowed in the dark with them. :D

I imagine the 'marker lights' would be a similar 'glow in the dark'; maybe better. I caught that idea looking for something rectangular and cheap. Being seen is in play, for me. Landing an airplane, no. Lighting up the neighbour's yard, no. I just want improved lighting, and like low current draw.

I have a sense that pricing is improving; and expect that will get better. (avoiding the bleeding edge of tek, and waiting for the price drop)

I found a need for a rear light recently while reversing to drop a trailer load of wood in the dark. Another toggle would have been nice for that. My needs are pretty simple. A marker light would have made a big difference, since the rearward direction was "all-dark". A swivel worklight could be handy. Led taillights maybe. I won't use them much. In summer, too many bugs. My approach is a less-is-more.

OrangeMetalGuy likely wants more lighting than I do.sm01