Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dimesions of 23x10.5x12 Chains?

B110guy

Looking for a set of chains for my B110. I see several sets on eBay sold with the dimensions only. Didn't know if someone knew off hand what the length and width of a 23x10.5x12 chain would be.

B110guy

go to jacks small engines and order a set. they are about $65 with shipping. well worth it. you will have to cut them down a bit for a perfect fit. see glpoint thread on tire chain install. done right with a little time they will be nice and tight.

snow shoes.jpg

57e05d62abf68_snowshoes.jpg.fb71b9bb194a700371bff5f06f4a29dd.jpg

Here's the link to GLPointon's thread on tire chain install.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123373

The idea is to take the time to do it right - and the info in the thread shows various types AND various approaches to proper installationid="blue">.

If that fails, you fall back to bungee jumping - good luck with that.

New or used, I don't think it matters. If it's made to fit YOUR TIRE SIZE, you're good.

- I imagine some dealers might have measurements. But that approach resembles 'reverse engineering'.

If it's not made for your tire size, that's a problem

- and those nice people selling chains in various ad media often don't even know what they have. So handle with care.

= ngale's suggestion to just buy new might be really easy =

buying unknown might mean you will be reinstalling all winter;

- and investing in the ultimate bungee experience - omg. 8)

If you can't get accurate info from an advertiser, shop elsewhere. Usual rocket science. :D don't make it harder on yourself.

The problem I'm having is people finding a set of chains in their garage and getting out the tape to measure them. Sold the tractor years ago and don't remember the tire size. I've done the same thing with tire chains. Selling by dimension does me no good if I don't know what dimension correctly fits my 23x10.5x12 tire. I can buy new but if I can find used for 1/4 to 1/2 the money, I'm going used. Just need dimensions. So far I haven't found a web site that lists the dimensions.

B110guy

These 2 chain dimensions are for 23 x 8.5 x 12 tire sizes; the sizes are written on the floor with chalk in my thread (Graham linked it above)

50.5"L x 14.5"W

53.5"L x 13"W

so these are the dim's NOT to buy....the 10.5 wide tires will need longer &/or wider chains than these. I tried them both to be sure but no luck on the 10.5"s

I'm getting a set too, I'm using Nate's (ngale65) supplier.

Good Luck sm01

A lot of used chains are for smaller tires - cos our tires are often bigger than those used on lesser machines.

I suppose from the dimensions above that WON'T WORK, you could add a bit especially to the width, and get a ballpark figure.

maybe = 54 x 17 (ish) or similar - something in that range.

Seems strange that the spec should not available on new chains. I suppose they sell more if they keep the public confused. It wouldn't be the first time.

But the size would also vary with the gauge of steel used to make them, and the type of chain.

If I can measure mine, I will let you know.

Thanks for the info, Greg. I had someone send me a PM for a set that will work, so I'll probably go that route if I do anything this winter. Currently experiencing a no-spark issue that I'll address in a new post.

B110guy

Just a note on how I did it. I have no concrete slab or asphalt driveway. I ended up taking off the tires, partially deflated them, and rolling them by hand on to the chains for fastening. Then reinflated the tires and put 'em back on the tractor.