Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My Barn - Construction Pictures

DaveTenney

I figured I'd start a new thread for my barn project...The barn has been a year long project. I worked side jobs all summer to save up money...I do construction work on the side with my uncle and cousin. I bought the siding off craigslist, and the rest from Menard's. I started construction at the end of October.The roof is a 12/12 that I stick built. Making the decision to stick build the barn limited me to a 20' building width, which is the max that a 2x12 can span. That width and pitch also works out to a rafter that is just under 16', so it makes for little waste material. The attic space is going to be used for storing Christmas decorations, Lawn furniture, hanging baskets, etc...Mostly my wife's stuff! Next spring I will finish the stairs and build an 8' x 24' Lean-to on the back for dry storage...Should be a good place to stash a few parts tractors!I also looked at different options for the front doors and decided to go with the slider. I like the slider because they are maintenance free, permit the highest possible door height, and work great with a gravel floor. On the downside, the hardware was expensive. Had about $500 in the doors. I have been thinking about this barn for a few years, so I had lots of time to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck. When it's all said and done I'll have around $6000 in it. If I had to do it again, I would have put steel on the sides instead of the vinyl...Cost ended up being about the same, and the vinyl is a lot more time consuming to put up.My cousin Chris came out with his tractor. He graded the site, and drilled the holes. He sure loves that JD! A very handy tractor...

drilling holes.JPG

The next thing you do is lay the building out with string and set putting up posts.

setting posts.JPG

Girts and Header up

Posts up.JPG

My uncle Vern came over for a day of roof framing...

roof framing.JPG

Who's that ugly guy putting on the roof...oh....that's me...

metal roofing.JPG

My daughter helping me put up siding.

putting on siding.JPG

Sliding doors on to hide all of the junk inside!

doors on.JPG

57e05752e94a6_drillingholes.JPG.6c02062bf2cadae0c1ce3863eb9bd6aa.JPG

57e05753785cb_settingposts.JPG.b713a66c652f8451983765ed3c20b9f5.JPG

57e057538a442_Postsup.JPG.0396b9cba000d0ea0c7d03be93b2e071.JPG

57e05753a5234_roofframing.JPG.49c04a089683e7d15dc0cc0a132ff72b.JPG

57e05753b9004_metalroofing.JPG.565e049c60bd7e1dc7e15366dc5dc28d.JPG

57e05753c7536_puttingonsiding.JPG.9b7f8e9e44c83fa0ab05915e2482028f.JPG

57e05753d6bc2_doorson.JPG.c8c563b5b9199d12252f055cb56d7ced.JPG

Nice.

One suggestion though. Get a gutter up over the doors.

My garage has a slider on the side like that where snow and water can slide off in front of the door.

I have spent as much as 3 hours with a pickaxe getting the ice away from the bottom to open the door. :o:O

Especially if you use any kind of heat inside.

Snow will slide off and pile in front of the door, water will drip then freeze. Its a big bummer. :D

After a couple years of that I put an overhead door inside the slider. I rarely use the slider, leave it open, unless it's real cold or windy, then I can close both.

Nice barn

I'll second what Dan just said. Laboring with a pick axe for several winters is what promted me to break down & spend the bucks on relacing all my sliders with roll ups even after I installed gutters.

A good slope in the grade from the doors outward also helps.

Dave that is an awsome bldg...I like the 12/12 roof so you can have room upstairs and even bump-out a dormer if needed. and the lean-to's are a great way to add more space and they look perfectly traditional...Nice job!

There is only one big problem with that building. You SHOULD have practiced in my back yard before doing your owndOddOddOd'

Very nice job!!

Nice building, I second what everyone says about the sliding door, I ended up with overhead doors. I like the metal roof that is something I should have done but didn't.

I think I said I was impressed in the other thread. It looks great with snow on it too. :D

Nice to see the construx process - you make it look easy. I hope it gives you many years of service.

Congrats on a job well done.

Myst.

I will certainly get gutters on there in the spring...I never thought of the doors freezing. You can't tell in the photo, but it does go down hill in front of the doors, so maybe that will help. Hopefully I won't need to get in there a whole lot in the winter since I keep the Allis in the garage to plow with.

Thanks for all the nice compliments!

Dave

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Nice building. I wish my city would allow one of those buildings!

id="quote">
id="quote">HA!! You can't even put up a nice playhouse for your kids in your town. LOL Let alone a nice pole shed.Or..... You can put it up, then just tell the city that noone said I COULDN'T do this. HEHEHENice barn Dave!dOddOd

I agree! Just gotta make one that looks like a landlord...

quote:Originally posted by huffy

Looks great, Dave!A wind vane would be a nice finishing touch.

id="quote">
id="quote">