Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck pulley, arbor questions

tripleguy

Did manage to get the pulleys off my deck for the 5216H. Thanks for the tips! I used Al's suggestion of taking bolts longer than the originals, screwing them all the way into the pulley and beating them with a BFH. It worked great, only now, one of my pulleys is a bit bent from stupidly trying a gear puller.

My question - can these be carefully reshaped, especially if only the bottom part of the flange is bent? Does it matter if it's not 100% true on the bottom? Just trying to save $60 on a new pulley.

My second Q involves the arbors. The pulley sides look great but the blade sides look squashed and much narrower on the bottom. I'm assuming this is normal from repeated removal/install from blade sharpening over the years. Any sources for inexpensive new ones or should I just live with what I've got?

That is normal. They were made that way. There is suppose to be a little round shim in there and I can not find the part number in the manuals. I will check some more. Phandad may see this he probably knows the part number. They are still available at the dealer.

I believe it is called a washer shim part number 1700230. They are Simplicity parts so a dealer, used or ebay is about all the option you have. That shaft is made that way at the factory though.

Thanks Ray. Mine appears to have the shim for 2 out of the 3 arbors. I'll look to pick up another although I suspect it's not super critical it has that.

Any thoughts on straightening the lower lip of that pulley? It isn't that far off now - maybe 1/16" - 3/32" or so in a couple places where the jaws of the gear puller bent it. Think I'd be OK if I just try and reshape to achieve fairly similar gap between upper and lower pulley lip all the way around?

I think a collar goes on the bottom of the arbor. I just bought 3 from Pro Parts Discount.

3 of 1672132SM - Simplicity - COLLAR, Mower Arbor @$5.95ea.

Here's the thread about arbor rebuilds and the different parts used for the older flat blade decks vs the newer "gull wing" decks:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117904&SearchTerms=arbor

You may want to consider flipping the arbor shaft end for end so the most worn splines are at the pulley end. If you used the centering collars, you'll have to grind new groves in the "blade end" since only 1 end of the arbor comes with the ground area for the collar.

Also note that the earliest flat blades didn't come with collars and arbors with the ground area to allow their installation. Although a lot of use tends to mushroom the splines at the blade contact area. Another option is to grind that area to accept a collar.

The pics in the referenced thread are a big help to understand the above babble.

Originally posted by RayS

That is normal. They were made that way. There is suppose to be a little round shim in there and I can not find the part number in the manuals. I will check some more. Phandad may see this he probably knows the part number. They are still available at the dealer.

id="quote">PIX

Arbor_Shaft4.JPG

Spindles%20Blade%20Adaptor%20002.jpg

Also this appears in the last third of this thread, with discussion, and a lot of details.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117904&SearchTerms=deck,larry = (echo the call to put Larry's thread in Tek Tips) =

And as to the price of the collars now - WOW. The last time I bought them (Oct 2006) they were 19c each. Seems the price has increased a bit more than inflation!

quote:The pics in the referenced thread are a big help to understand the above babble.id="quote">
id="quote">

agreed - with the caveat that one must decipher the ensuing babble.

:D:D

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

And as to the price of the collars now - WOW. The last time I bought them (Oct 2006) they were 19c each. Seems the price has increased a bit more than inflation!

id="quote">
id="quote">You would be amazed how the price of such things can GET TOTALLY STUPID here in Canada. - don't be surprised at 5-20 dollars B) :o 8)otoh - hold your breath until you hear the 'sentence'. ???More likely $2. (alt source industrial supply or fasteners outlet).

Thanks again everyone. Those pics of the new arbors sure are making me envious. I'll try and salvage mine though. I think from the pics in the links provided, I should be able to get the deck back in shape by spring. Time is on my side! As for the pulley, I think I'll try straightening vs the $60 Simplicity wants for a new one. Even if I just get close, how bad can it be? I'll manage to get it chucked in a drill press or lathe and check runout. Close will be good enough for a rubber belt.

--Bill

How important is the shim washer in the equation (#1700230)? I have my deck apart and I'm missing one. My dealer doesn't have any and I'd hate to place an internet order for one shim. Anyone have an extra that I can purchase and have mailed in a regular envelope or should I just assemble without it and not worry?

I did manage to get the collars for all 3 and I also have the bearings. I'll be cutting nice and quiet come spring. Thanks for all the tips on this!

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I would just try straightening it in a vice with an adjustable wrench.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ray is correct....VERY easy to repair a pulley with an adjustable crescent wrench. The metal is soft and very easy to straighten. I have done it several times with great results!

quote:Originally posted by RayS

Why not just have the dealer place the order? He doesn`t want to order it? It will be 4 or 5 months before you can use it.

id="quote">
id="quote">Didn't want to bother him for a single shim. Profit margin has to be next to nothing for an order that small. Guess I could ask.

That is why he is a dealer, to help simplicity owners keep their machines running. He also probably orders parts for his shop weekly or so anyway.

The way I look at it is, if the manufacturer says a part is needed I believe them. They wouldn't put it in in the first place if it wasn't needed.