Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Don't break the bead on a 49 yr old tire...

JoggerFogger

I didn't want to get paint on the tire, so I broke the bead then cut cardboard to stuff between the tire and wheel. Hint: just lay the cardboard on the rim and push down with your palm to make a nice guide for your box cutter.

photo%25204.JPG

I thought I was so smart doing this. I was also kind of amazed that these tires still held air after 49 years. Well, not anymore. Put the wheel back on the tractor to admire my work and the next day it was flat. I over filled the tire with air until I could see the cracks between the lugs start to show (about 30 psi) to see if I could set the bead a little harder. Nope, flat again next day. So I pulled off the tire to see where the leak was and if I could "massage" it a little to make it hold air... Hahahahhha! (that's soapy water as an indicator of air leaks)

photo.JPG

It is leaking pretty much around the whole rim on both sides. I guess innertubes are in my near future.-Kevin

What size tube do I buy for a Goodyear 6-12 tire? I don't even understand this sizing- even after looking at several explanations.

-Kevin

Kevin,Here is just one listing from a Google search,http://www.gemplers.com/product/182098/600x12-6-12-Inner-Tube-TR13-Valve-Type?gclid=CIbVrOXxyrQCFcsWMgodeWwAOQ&sku=182098&CID=25SEPLA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=182098&ef_id=UL1NYAAACQ5@CAtA20130103000452sAlso here is how I do my rims after installing new tubes,

b10-40.jpg

b10-41.jpg

b10-40.jpg.27cba6e6fb54b6603fb09239c51f18b1.jpg

b10-41.jpg.5dae2e3d9502b1c25b97ba9132f6940c.jpg

Kevin, I think rims are my most dreaded part of a restoration...I always mask both sides of 4 rims = 8 masking jobs...:Yngr2XX( I hate it...

I like the cardboard idea...But if I cut the curves in some sheet metal that could slip under the rims lip without breaking the bead...say 3 or 4 pcs...that could be a reusuable painting sheild....Would need a set for both rim sizes...Hmmmm

Any thoughts???

Tubes are the way to go unless you have a nice clean rim to start with or sandblast the entire bead area, clean the tire and use bead sealer! Most of mine are tubed!

I have had no issues painting rims. I let the air out but I DON'T break the bead. With the air gone, I push down on the tire and get enough space to tuck tape or paper behind the rim between the rim and tire.

No need to break bead, tape, use cardboard, etc, etc. Just take a paint brush and apply a little Vasilene to the tire. Takes 10 seconds. Paint the rim. When the paint's dry wash the tire. All Vasilene and paint overspray comes right off.

quote:Originally posted by JoggerFogger

What size tube do I buy for a Goodyear 6-12 tire? I don't even understand this sizing- even after looking at several explanations.-Kevin

id="quote">
id="quote">You use a 6-12 tire tube. $14 each from Miller Tire. You can find Miller Tire on Google. Sorry, I can't post their link from my phone.