Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

It'll never snow again this year

OrangeMetalGuy

I promise...

I just bought a spring-trip plow for my 716H... supposed to be delivered by UPS tomorrow.

So, Saturday I will mount it, and so we won't get another flake all season...

In the spring I will restore it fully, but for now I just need functionality. I am done with not being able to angle the plow remotely, and also tired of almost being launched over the steering wheel when I hit a curb.

Congrats Scott...thats a great plow dOd

I always used a blower but since I got one of the "spring trip" plows I use it now for lighter snowfalls. My new thing is my snowcab...havent had a big snowfall since I got it last year :(

Did you get the control rod with yours? they seem to be missing alot...I now have 3 of the plows & not 1 rod or mount bracket...

PS...your Allis looks great!!

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

I promise...I just bought a spring-trip plow for my 716H... supposed to be delivered by UPS tomorrow.So, Saturday I will mount it, and so we won't get another flake all season...In the spring I will restore it fully, but for now I just need functionality. I am done with not being able to angle the plow remotely, and also tired of almost being launched over the steering wheel when I hit a curb.

id="quote">
id="quote">I just love that kinda talk; and it helps reinforce my announcement last September that winter was cancelled. People look at me funny when I tell them about that. Maybe it's kinda like they didn't dare hope for such a thing - I tell them we might get some snow; but winter is cancelled. They get very quiet. So now I can tell them that I know a guy who bought a plow, and he said it won't snow either. Works for me; I just don't know about some people. Maybe they are depressed pessimists - or what? I see nothing wrong with doing the impossible; once it's done it's no longer impossible. What's the big deal? :DPlease hurry and install your beautiful plow on your beautiful tractor.I dunno how I got the idea from the led thread; but I thought you had an earlier version with pod lights. My bad, sorry. I still believe the 700's and the 7000's were the best-styled tractors made. And of course, I am not at all biased. 8D2 months and a couple of weeks until SPRING. dOdThe DAZE is getting longer. 8)

Graham you have excellent taste in tractors!

I gotta get me a decal for the back of the seat, that's the one I am missing. Need a new cover for the seat too.

Graham you have excellent taste in tractors!I gotta get me a decal for the back of the seat, that's the one I am missing. Need a new cover for the seat too.

id="quote">
id="quote">Isn't it just so True. sm03 I have a friend who has a bunch of 700-series, including a 718H, and a used-to-be mine 716-6speeder; he has a used motor for it. I swapped him for extensive bgb work - he had all the parts. But he only buys 700-series. He really wanted my 6speeder. (and I really needed bgb stuff badly, and a few other details. I met him buying other parts I wanted - rear lift, sleeve hitch. Wish I could find a ScoopTote. 8) And a Dozer.I might replace my seat; but for now it's original, and comfy. It has a couple little holes, and a closer look revealed some cracks in the material. I carefully put black duct tape on it. but the worst is the bolts, not original, are rusty'd on, and pan is rusty underneath. It needs a new seat, and I want to put my "MysTiK" name on the back. Then we can just Fly away into the Great Infinite Radiant Is. :D Just a Pleasant Daydream. Either that or I am delusional; but I don't care about that. The Dream is more fun. And "HE" likes it too. dOd

Well, I assembled and mounted the plow this morning. Everything is fine, except it's missing the latch piece that fits into the receiver and fits into one of the angle grooves when the control handle is released. I will have to contact the folks where I bought it to see if they can mail me one. If not, I guess I will have to see if they are available from Simplicity.

Man is that thing heavy! Whew. I am going to have to put a counterweight on the back, I think. I have the slide-in receiver that pivots in the back, but it works the opposite that I would need (in other words, if I hung a weight out there I would simply be lifting more, not getting assistance from the weight.

I always wonder which way's correct - but there's a lil pulley underneath near the rockshaft, and I think the cable that goes round the pulley can be mounted either way. There's also a lil cable stop (sim. to a belt stop). Anyway, it's reversible.I think this is what you mean.I'm assuming cable manual lift.On mine, when front goes down, back goes up.Part 11 is cable stop, it covers grooves on pully, holds cable in.Also if rear lift HITS seatdeck, cable length is adj. w cable clamps. Don't ask how I know this. Hope this helps.

omgcablestoplift-1.jpg

omgcablestoplift-1.jpg.be14aa331101d32d6bd4cf53eca5d2c1.jpg

Well, I am pushing the other envelope as this is the 12th year using the same belt on my 42" snowblower and I've had a few smokey burnouts with it. I just got lazy as I am planning on getting a blower for the Sunstar next year and retiring the old 3212H blower. Soo.. If we get snow it will be wet and heavy and you can blame me for it.

Scott,Find yourself a rockershaft from a 71XX series tractor and replace the one in the 716. The 7100 rockershafts are double ended where the cable attaches. You can remove the pulley and hook the cable to the other end of the lever and then the rear lift will work in the opposite direction. I have one of the 7100 shafts in my 716H and can put weight on the rear lift to counterbalance the blade or blower on the front. Here is a picture showing the difference between the 7100 shaft on the left and a 710 shaft on the right:

adapter1.jpg

At one time I was also making adapters to fit on the 71X rockershafts to make the rear lift move in the opposite direction. I don't have any available now. If you want one, I could look for my templates and maybe put one together for you. I won't quote a price here, if you are interested, we can talk by PM or email. Here is a picture of the adapter:

adapter3.jpg

This is a picture of the two shafts together with the adapter on the 710 shaft on the right.

adapter2.jpg

I also put together a write up on making the adapter. If I can find it in my files, I can send you a copy and you can make the adapter yourself, or get somebody locally to make it for you.Let me know if I can be of assistance.

adapter1.jpg.92eb7a3f29b795c406d9d6dd2874172d.jpg

Rod,

Thanks, you have been a true helper and friend with my tractors! I get it now, the adapter reverses the action; instead of loosening (using your photo, with the shaft going clockwise) it will instead tighten the cable lifting whatever is on the other end.

Sounds like exactly what I need.

• 1 month later...

When you get it all put together, do you think you could head over here with it? We got 30" last weekend, and the Post Office is complaining that mailboxes aren't cleared well enough for them to deliver mail to

OK, Scott, waiting for feedback on the adapter I made for you. :D You need to get it on before we get a snow. ;)sm01

I think it took johnmonkey a whole five minutes to install the one I made for him a couple years back. I could stand it that long in your shed. LOL

In the spring I will restore it fully, but for now I just need functionality.

id="quote">
id="quote">This is how I go about restoration prep....Find the part, tractor, attachment. Get it into working condition. Use it until it's particular "season" ends. Then take lots of photos, tear it down, size and order needed decals, clean the parts, paint, and reassemble.dOddOddOd