Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigten65

front plow

bigten65

I hate having to get off the tractor to change the angle of the front snow plow. Has anyone devised a way to change the angle from the seat? Any help would be appreciated? If so, photos would help.

arnoldir

Hey Bigten65,

Way back when I got into this hobby, I set out to solve that very question on my 6216 with the non-remote angle plow.

I figured out that a 6" stroke electric actuator could be attached to the blade frame and blade and would just have enough stroke to do the job.

At the time I found some spiffy 90 degree wedge shaped brackets from Grainger for connecting the Unistrut framing material that looked pretty good for welding on as mounting brackets since I did not have the means to fabricate any.

Then I got a 720 with loader and abandoned the idea.

The thing I recall about this solution was finding an actuator with the Acme Lead Screw vs Recirculating Ball type since it has a much higher thrust and shock loading capacity.

I got lucky and picked up a matched pair of Warner Electric Acme type actuators for about $35 each on Ebay, but that was 12 years ago.

I planned on some type of vertical mounting in front of the grill to use the second actuator for lifting the blade.

Good luck, and happy tractoring.

Talntedmrgreen
quote:Originally posted by arnoldir

Hey Bigten65,Way back when I got into this hobby, I set out to solve that very question on my 6216 with the non-remote angle plow.I figured out that a 6" stroke electric actuator could be attached to the blade frame and blade and would just have enough stroke to do the job.At the time I found some spiffy 90 degree wedge shaped brackets from Grainger for connecting the Unistrut framing material that looked pretty good for welding on as mounting brackets since I did not have the means to fabricate any.Then I got a 720 with loader and abandoned the idea.The thing I recall about this solution was finding an actuator with the Acme Lead Screw vs Recirculating Ball type since it has a much higher thrust and shock loading capacity.I got lucky and picked up a matched pair of Warner Electric Acme type actuators for about $35 each on Ebay, but that was 12 years ago.I planned on some type of vertical mounting in front of the grill to use the second actuator for lifting the blade.Good luck, and happy tractoring.

id="quote">
id="quote">I really like this idea dOd Had often thought about it...sounds like a good practice job for the new welder. I have 4 90deg brackets that would be idea for this.

huffy
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
quote:
id="quote">I've thought about getting a small hydro cylinder instead of an actuator, and running lines out from the hydro lift. I can use the RH lift for raising and lowering, once I get around to building it.