Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
eugenedrago

B10 engine in a B1?

eugenedrago

Some of you know I recently picked up a B-10 and a B-1. The B-1 is a complete and nice little tractor. The B-10 is missing parts and is most likely going to be broken down into a parts tractor. I am thinking of putting the 10 hp motor from the B-10 into the B-1. I think it will pretty muck bolt wright into it? Anybody have any thoughts? It would be a 243431 Briggs replacing a model 19. More than anything its because I have the 10 hp pulled and can do a overhaul on it easily and comfortably in the warmth of my basement this winter. Thus I could drop a fresh engine in the B-1 during the spring.

rokon2813

The 10 horse is physically larger. However, I think the B1 sets on spacers that are equal to the difference so I don't think height is an issue.

I also think you will need to cut the half moon hole in the frame for the shroud to set into, since the B1 does not have it.

It's been done, and hopefully someone who has done it will pop in.

I don't know if there are any necessary mods to the grill or frame?

HubbardRA

I put a 243431 10Hp into my Simplicity 700(61 Wards) a few years ago. I didn't even cut out the section of the frame. I just used a big hammer and bulged the frame enough for the engine to clear.

Cutting out the slice is probably easier and a better looking setup. Someone should be able to send you a template for the cutout, or you can find a frame from a later tractor that already has the cutout and use that.

Dan was correct in his post above. All you need to do is make the cutout and do not use the spacers that were under the original engine.

If it doesn't currently have flexdisks on the driveshaft, then I would recommend removing the old "rattlejoints" and replacing them with flexdisks.

goodtimo

Don't you have to also cut out the hole (or oblong it) in the front grill assembly for the stub end of the crank? I thought I had to do that on my B1 we re-powered about 15 years ago, but I can't remember what engine we swapped in ours.... Then again, maybe I left those shims in...and that's why I had to cut it out. I can't remember, I've slept since then. :)

quote:Originally posted by HubbardRA

I put a 243431 10Hp into my Simplicity 700(61 Wards) a few years ago. I didn't even cut out the section of the frame. I just used a big hammer and bulged the frame enough for the engine to clear. Cutting out the slice is probably easier and a better looking setup. Someone should be able to send you a template for the cutout, or you can find a frame from a later tractor that already has the cutout and use that.Dan was correct in his post above. All you need to do is make the cutout and do not use the spacers that were under the original engine.If it doesn't currently have flexdisks on the driveshaft, then I would also recommend removing the old "rattlejoints" and replacing them with flexdisks.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Talntedmrgreen

An early 10hp doesn't have the synchro balance gears, which require the grill frame mod, due to the case prtrusion, correct? I thought that was needed when using the 30+" engines.

HubbardRA

I used two pieces of flat stock to make adapters and move the grill instead of hacking up the original hardware. You can move it both upward for the crankshaft hole and forward to clear the engine. You just bolt the adapter plate to the existing grill mounting holes in the frame, then put the grill where you want it and drill holes in the plates and bolt together. That way if you ever want to go back to an original engine setup then you can.

I currently have a Kohler K321 in my Simp 700.