Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power Steering on Latest Tractors

PhanDad

Ok a little help from the Prestige and other "new" Simplicity tractors owners that have tractors with power steering. I was browsing a Prestige parts manual and noticed the difference between a PS and non PS tractor is a "Generator". Specifically a "Generator, Torque, Power Steering Unit", part #1718832SM, and it's expensive ($785 at Jack's). It appears to be an "all in one" unit (not a separate steering unit and cylinder). It is hydraulic since there's another parts schematic that shows the hydraulic lines. Can anyone explain how it works? Some type of rotary hydraulic "cylinder"?Here's the parts schematic, the "Generator" is part #27:

Prestige_PS_Partsa.jpg

If you could find a used one at a reasonable price, could it be installed on a Sovereign?

Prestige_PS_Partsa.jpg.4d75726f6ae0102148542f6d23cebb37.jpg

I believe I have one of those I found on eBay. It looks like there would be interference with the fuel tank and/or the the battery so I haven't pursued it actively.

Not sure that this helps but they are torque amplifiers

we used them in a model of lift truck that had a chain steering at the trunnion. They do make steering easier but if there is a bind in the rest of the system you may not realize it till it is too late

just my thoughts

I used one of those exsact units on my 9020 conversion. It works well.

The oil flow from a pump comes into the assembly, the steering wheel side is a valve assembly. As you turn the wheel it directs the oil flow against a rotory assebly that adds directional power into the output shaft. This acts like a form of power steering known as power assist. The internal assembly has limits inside of it so if you loose oil flow you still have a solid connection to the tires.

This setup isn't as powerfull as a cylinder style steering setup but is much simpler and compact than the seperate component systems and is all most small garden tractors need. Forms of this setup were used on several models of full sized tractors as far back as the mid 50's.