Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

long day. haha

dirtmister16

yesterday was a long day, i knew it would be but thats life.

frist on the agenda was put a cb in dad's rollback, went fairly straight forward. cept i had to change my wire route a bit due to not being able to go the way i wanted it. dad worked on the headlights and ended up having to go get replacment buckets and such from the dealer($65). replaced the wipers, tried the washer, broken hose under cowl(project for another day).

so he is ready to leave today, yay!

then on to the big task i knew i had ahead of me, changing front tires on the 2210 with the nice ones from a snowblower. the snowblower tires came off great as they were very nice tires. Tires from the tractor well one of them alone took me 20 mins to get the bead to break due to rust. i had to chisel the bead loose before i could get them off, and amazing i didn't pinch a tube!

then i remounted them on the other wheels for the snoblower, which didn't go to bad due to heating them up. then on to the cleaning of the bearings for the tractor, went well i reused what i had as they weren't bad yet,the seals could use a replacement though so i ordered some.

it made for a long day, and a tire changer wouldn't have made it any easier except for breaking the bead(maybe).

today i get pull the weight and wheel off the B 10 and see why that went flat, i think its the valve core when i went to take it out because i couldn't get air into the tire, it was broke! so i may end up just tubing it. i want to make sure i didn't run something over first though before i get to carried away.

well off to work hi lo hi lo of to work i go lol

Walmart and other tire dealers here will mount and dismount for $10 a tire here. To much effort for that cost and in a hour your on your way.

I used to do bicycle tires. But I would favour the tire shop for anything bigger - I'm not set up for it, they are.

But lots of people do their own; and I'm sure they have their reasons.

It kinda amazes me. 8) :osm01

• 2 weeks later...

^^Same here^^

I break down my own tires too. The little 4" rims are the real challenge, 'specially trying not to pinch the tube.:D:D On those, I mount them with a rubber mallet.

The trick is lots and lots of lube, both dismounting AND mounting, whether it be soapy water, liquid soap, grease, or even the paste you can buy and brush on. A rusty tire and rim get sprayed with penetrating oil.

I use a flat bar and a 4# mini sledge to break beads.

I prefer soapy water or soap, then just hose down the assembly when your done.

I have some short tire spoons, the work ok. I want longer ones, but when you apply too much leverage, you risk bending the rim.:o:O

on small tires i just use my vice. i do most front tires this way to break them. if they won't break i have to drive the truck over them. i have a big bead breaker at my dad's garage but it only really helps with rear sized tires.

ya gotta be creative with these things ya know.

oh and a update on the 2210 had to tube both front tires now, drat!

we have a actual tire changer for car and truck tires. and all the manual tools as well. very well equiped to handle the job! haha. only i don't do is alloys, i won't chance scratches.

i take them to a shop with a rim clamp machine, we just have a old style one that runs the bar around the wheels.

I have this old timer. only use it to break beads untill i can get it all working and side arm unfroze. I have a hand held bead breaker that came with the machine and works good. just have to flp tire over to do other side. even works on lawn tractor rears and simplicity fronts

T2eC16FHJIQE9qUHrjIIBQT6ypSmsg60_1.jpg

^ nice perry! i used to use the one at work for the tires on the mowers but some day ill get my own. gotta rebuild the truck and other stuff that is more important though haha.