Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Restoration question - 46" spring-trip plow

OrangeMetalGuy

Does anyone know the original color and finish of these, as Allis Chalmers would have delivered them in the mid-1970's?

On AC GTs the pics I have seen appear to show a slightly-grayish black. Also, they appear to be semi-gloss in finish. But, that's looking at pictures of 40-year old advertisements.

We are going to have a couple days in the mid 60-degrees over the weekend so I want to give my new plow a paint job. Trying to mimic how the factory shipped them. Thanks!

Scott,

The 46" spring trip I have is painted in the classical Simplicity red-orange.

I would say after sitting in the "junk" yard it is a semi gloss at this point.

See my Gallery, in my profile.

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Ok, I am going to go with gloss black and I will replace all of the fasteners with stainless steel. I think that will look good.

That will look really good. And the stainless steel will add BLING, kinda like little stars all shiny.

I'm going to paint my deck. I already replaced all the bolts on the covers - the olde ones were brown, they didn't work well anymore either. So I got the bling, just need the paint. sm03 and some Spring weather.

sm01 Countdown to Spring = 2 months and 12 days. sm01

There was a preceeding thread, Dan.

It's a 716, like the lil pix I robbed from simpletrax.

Nice pix tho.

Wow, those things are very beast-ish. I want one.

quote:

angle_dozer_small.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">Does anyone know what the round thing that resembles a light or mirror above the left hand wheel is? MysTik's picture made me curious.

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

Ok, I am going to go with gloss black and I will replace all of the fasteners with stainless steel. I think that will look good.

id="quote">
id="quote">That`s how I did my Black and stainless. It is in show and tell forum.

Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
quote:
id="quote">LOL it's a hole punched in the brochure.
id="quote">id="quote">Wow I really over thought that one! I kinda thought it was some kind of work light that I had never saw before...That's embarrassing!

Originally posted by AC82
quote:
id="quote">LOL it's a hole punched in the brochure.
id="quote">id="quote">Wow I really over thought that one! I kinda thought it was some kind of work light that I had never saw before...That's embarrassing!
id="quote">id="quote">Not at all! It is a worklight, or a rearview mirror. (?) You don't really think they'd punch a hole in a catalogue pix do you? That would be barbaric. 8) Not in the mid to late '70's. 8D

Paint it whichever color you like.

I paint my tractors so that I like them. What others think doesn't matter to me, since I am the one who uses them.

I bought my 712H from the original owner's son. The O/O was an AC dealer, and I received a brand new never used 46" plow with the tractor. It was a satin black, but may have faded.