Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 401-B Sickle-bar mower

B-Man

Hi Brian:

I have a sickle-bar like the one you described which came from the owner of a B-12. I never saw it mounted but the frame you describe does not sound familiar. It is in the back of my storage container so it will be some time before I get to it.

Del

Anybody know what model tractor a 46" sickle-bar mower fits?? This particular one is a model 401-B manufactured by Haban out of Racine, WI. It is painted in Persian Orange and it completely original. Have serial number on data tag if it is needed to determine what it fits. I would guess that is was manufactured in the early to mid 70's by looking at the method of construction, quality of weld, etc. It does not have the typical cutter guides like the older sickle-bar mowers that I have seen. Instead of the knives sliding in a slot cut into the guides, the knives slide over top of a smaller set of serrated guides.

The pitman arm, wobble box and cutter bar are mounted on a two piece tubular frame that extends up to the front of the tractor where it is held on by two quick release pins. The rear most section of tube bolts to the right side frame rail I suspect. At the front there is a pulley that is mounted on a shaft that runs parallel to the frame rails. There is a 90 gear box that mounts on the tractor independent of the rest of this assembly.

Depending on what it fits, I may just finish restoring it and sell it. Knives are badly rusted and need to be replaced yet. I am in the process of prepping it for paint.

Thanks

Brian R

This mower fit a John Deer 110 8 horse Garden (1965)Tractor. You should have a linkage that runs from the lift assembly to the front of the tractor, this hooks to the 90 gear box, which is mounted on the front of the tractor. The lift lever actually controls the on and off function of the gear box. There should be another lift arm mounted to the mower unit, this is used to move the sickle up and down.
As for the long tube towerds the rear of the tractor, there should be a rubber strap and a plate that bolted to the rear hitch. This unit cut really good, but if you find an old 110 and try to use it, please remember to shut off the sickle prior to backing up, as the belt has no guard on it!