Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

removing a stuck rim

steve-wis

Well, I got the rims off of my B206E. I had been soaking them in pb blaster for a couple of weeks. I made a puller and went to work on the first one, heating the hub, hammering the puller with a 3 pound hammer, tightening the puller, heating, hammering, till it finally moved and eventually got it off.

00020002.JPG

00030003.JPG

The second one was more of a challenge. I broke the puller I had made, so I made a much heavier one and went back to work. 4 hours later, the rim buckled but wouldn't move. Finally, a cut off wheel grinder and a saws all were called in. Still took some heating with the torch, but it is now off.

00010001.JPG

this explains the ad for a rim in parts wanted. Looks like I will be ok, Bear had a set of rims that are wider but do fit so I can mount them, or Ron Hribar may have a replacement for me. Either way, it will work out, but man, what a job that was!Steve

00020002.JPG.25e73180cc587a9710dff01271f0380e.JPG

00030003.JPG.36b7ac1a150a171d703e64d962e70edf.JPG

00010001.JPG.b6ff7e5aa9fd43cbadc137059267f8b3.JPG

Yes Graham, this is pretty common. The design is poor, imho. Any rim that slides over a shaft, either with a key and keyway or with a cross pin to drive it, has to be removed, cleaned and regreased fairly often or they rust onto the axle shaft. The ones with cross pins are a bit easier to break loose because once the pin is out you can twist the tire and rim to help break them, but with a key and keyway they must slide straight off, which is difficult. I have also been told that the early Honda ATV three wheelers had a splined axle that the wheel slid onto which was really bad to remove because there was no rim to speak of, just alot of tire. Many were removed with a torch.

Steve

been there done that. tried to press it off a axle from a newer machine. didn't work, heat and everything, ended up bending the wheel. had to order a new one.

most of the ones ive gotten have worn holes from being loose for too long. on the small frames anyway. i wonder if you could have drove it around and it would have broke loose after a time.

quote:Originally posted by dirtmister16

been there done that.

id="quote">
id="quote">Me too. I would guess a lot of us have. I feel your pain, Steve. I know how much it sucks to struggle with something for hours, doing everything you can think of to accomplish the task without damaging it, only to have all of your efforts foiled.

Heat the hub cherry red with a torch, and quench it with water. If it's still not loose, do it again. Works every time. This also works on the small frame tractor center pivot.

Thanks for additional info, Steve. Also others.

This reminds me of my first nooby experience - on deck spindles. It crushed me eventually - couldn't even look at it. Eventually, months later, I put it all in a box. I learned about deck the hard way. Someday I will return to those parts - I was close to finishing. With experience gained here and in other areas of maintenance, it will be fun to make it happen.

I eventually bought a parts tractor w deck, etc. It turned out to be a good thing. But hard lessons; and I won't forget them.

As for trashing the rim - just getting through it is worth whatever it takes. I hope the rest of the repair goes well for you.

Also, thanks for sharing. I think it takes a lot of character to illustrate a fail; and that's really cool. It isn't all just a picnic. And it's more than just a fail also. Use it, when the time is right.

Cheers.

I feel your pain Steve...I've been in those never-ending frustrating jobs before too.

THAT is one reason I swear by using "Anti-Sieze" on everything like that. Yrs ago during my Heavy Equip Mechanic training I was told "you should use it to help the next guy...cuz it may be you" :D

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

. THAT is one reason I swear by using "Anti-Sieze" on everything like that. Yrs ago during my Heavy Equip Mechanic training I was told "you should use it to help the next guy...cuz it may be you" :D

id="quote">
id="quote">I AGREE ^ . on those style i just leave the rims on and change the tire .

Also agree, I use it on anything that will need to come apart later on, slip-on rims, engine pulleys, etc. Unfortunately, this tractor probably hadn't had the rims off in 15 or 20 years. The tractor seems to have had light use, nothing really worn bad, and the rims were not sloppy at all, so they really rusted on good. The one I cut off didn't have the snap ring in the shaft to hold the rim on, it didn't need it with the thing being rusted on that bad. I would have left it alone except I have an idea I want to put 4.8-4 X8 ag tires on the back, I love the look of ags.

Steve

• Who's Online (See full list)

• tripleguy
    • GregB
    • airgunner
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts