Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mwells

hi-lo proper greasing?

mwells

I took my hi-lo apart tonight and cleaned all the old grease out because it was shifting hard. I reassembled it, greasing it as I went back together, and when I got done and had it mounted back on the b 12 I greased it from the fitting, I gave it a couple pumps then it started coming out between the transmission input shaft and hi-lo hub. I had it shifted in lo, otherwise in hi it would cover the grease fitting and force it to lo then the grease would start coming out. Is this normal or is something wrong? Thanks!

Talntedmrgreen

Oh no! I don't even grease through the fitting anymore. When it gets to the input shaft, the hilo will tend to begin slipping on the shaft vs shifting in and out. I open them, clean and grease by hand, then leave it alone. I do that annually.

The grease fitting does a poor job getting the grease to the planetary...it lines irght up with that input shaft, which is a bummer.

Talntedmrgreen
quote:Originally posted by mwells

Hmmm looks like I'm going to have to service it once a year as well. I wonder if you could rig up an oring seal or something to force the grease in the planetary.

id="quote">
id="quote">Perhaps...Mine always looks good, and I've historically done my fair share of tilling with it. The units gets super dusty/dirty, but the guts never appear real dirty. I guess it's piece of mind for an option that costs far more than I'm willing to pay to replace (stole most of mine off tractors I bought and passed on). dOd

steve-wis

I have the hi-lo for small frames on my 616 tractors. They don't have the grease fitting on the outer cover, the only way to grease them is to take them apart, which I do every couple of years. Neither one gets used that much so I don't grease it every year.

Steve

mwells

So I took it apart and installed a core plug in the hub. I had a little over .100 thousanths clearance between the grease hole and transmission shaft. I drove the core plug in and locktited it in. Then I put some silicone in the keyway and installed the key and let it sit up. I was careful not to plug the grease hole with silicon. I reinstalled it and it now forces grease into the planetary and comes out between the bushing and hub like it should. Not between the hub and transmission shaft like before. So now I feel more comfortable with it as grease is getting where it belongs.

IMG_2013011750609.jpg

IMG_201301174882.jpg

IMG_2013011724518.jpg

IMG_2013011736771.jpg

IMG_201301170121.jpg

IMG_2013011750609.jpg.8d8c49963ca90ee9ae48c6185732745e.jpg

IMG_201301174882.jpg.9e3a789387dedc02a74ac4a59f2a5582.jpg

IMG_2013011724518.jpg.7d8011cd201e5ac951e1e64ce79520a1.jpg

IMG_2013011736771.jpg.de0013063f76ea20fcf09e55ef2f4ee7.jpg

IMG_201301170121.jpg.458019db079e96775500bede2b199dc0.jpg

timflury
quote:Originally posted by steve-wis

I have the hi-lo for small frames on my 616 tractors. They don't have the grease fitting on the outer cover, the only way to grease them is to take them apart, which I do every couple of years. Neither one gets used that much so I don't grease it every year.Steve

id="quote">
id="quote">The small frame pulleys don't use the needle bearings on the planet gears, there is just a hardened steel sleeve. I suppose if you run the pulley in lo a lot, then more frequent maintenance would be needed.I run my Serf in lo only when snow blowing more than 4" and sometimes in reverse.