Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need Help!!!!

RalphABlack

My brother bought this Landlord lawnmower for me. He told me this will keep you busy for the winter. Ha!! Ha!! What I need for now is to know what HP. is the engine since the sheet metal that has the numbers of the code, model, and type is missing from the engine. There is the Mfg.# 990314 and the Ser.# 36-1340. Any help would be great guys!!! Thanks.....Ralph

If it is the original engine, it is a 9HP, Model 23D. Unless I'm mistaken, one of the easiest ways to tell is to look at the carb, where it bolts to the intake manifold. The 9HP engine used 3 bolts, while the 10HP and larger, later engines used 4 bolts.

If the engine is original, it is a 9HP Model 23D...

BTW, that is a 1964 model, so be kind to the old girl - she's rapidly approaching 50 years old...

original will also have the crankcase breather behind / below the starter generator, not the rubber hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner

If I am not mistaken, 990314 is a 64 Landlord. My son has one of those, but his engine has been replaced and uses a 4 bolt carb. I also have a 10 Hp engine in another tractor that has a manifold and 3 bolt carb on it that came off of a 9 Hp I think. It bolted directly onto the 10 Hp.

I think that the only sure way to determine which engine you have would be to pull the head and measure the diameter of the piston.

All used 2 bolts on the carb to manifold. It's the top of the carb to carb body that is the difference. Early models used 3 later models used 4, of course provided all is original.

Ho!!! I thought you were talkin about the bolts that mount the carb to the manifold. Yes it has 3 screws that mont the carb bowl together.