Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Surface Rust on Muffler...Options

bowhunt4life

I have a couple Nelson Can mufflers on my current rides, Big Ten & B12. They are in pretty good shape and have a little surface rust on them.

Is there any method to clean them up that won't ruin them or cause more rust?

I wire brush all mine, then recoat with high temp black.

Usually while the paint is still tacky I set them on top of the wood stove.

Kinda my own version of baked enamel :o

I'm on a motorcycle forum and we were talking about painting headers. It seems the John Deere black muffler paint is the best out there. Another option would be to have it powder coated with a ceramic paint for exhaust. They will blast and paint for you. One nice thing about the ceramic powder coat is, it contains heat very good. That will reduce under hood temps somewhat. I know in an automotive application they claim something like 50% but don't quote me on the figure.

Ken

http://www.classiccoatings.com/index2.html

There are many different choices of Ceramic coatings.

I too had a motorcycle that needed the exhaust headers coated.

Classic Coatings does a high quality job. It would cost about $15.00 to get a part the size of Nelson can powder coated, prolly more for ceramic. They offer black satin that can withstand 2000 degrees.

They are pretty good with quotes over the phone and via email.

I sprayed grill paint and baked it on my wheel weights, and rear weight for my Serf.

Surface rust is starting to poke through. The parts were sandblasted before I painted and baked them according to the recommendations on the can.

I also tried that Rustoleum grille paint. Worked good for a while, but I think the muffler heats up a fair bit and expands. I think that's what causes the paint to fail. Expansion and contraction.