Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wood cutting on 42 acres

perry

got access to a 42 acre parcel this week to cut firewood. and less than 2 miles away from my house. a family friend owned it but pass away years ago. and me and my dad use to cut firewood here in the early 1980's.

i contacted the new owner and was lucky to get on the property. have not been on the place in a long time. it is scheduled to be a subdivision in the future but untill then we have full access for personal firewood.

Got the Allis B-110 suited up to go battle in the woods. been working the heck out of it this week and many more days to go. next week will be adding a B-10 another trailer to haul logs.

woodcutting001.jpg

woodcutting003.jpg

mounted both the grader and front plow to clear the old driveway and landing to setup on. benefits of having dual lifts ^

woodcutting007.jpg

woodcutting027.jpg

woodcutting011.jpg

woodcutting030.jpg

woodcutting031.jpg

woodcutting034.jpg

Great action photos in winter! Good for you guys.

Side note, shame to see good woods like that go to a subdivision, IMO, I'm an avid bow hunter and hate to see the woods go.

With that said I wish I could uncover my tractors and work them in the winter. 20" of snow will keep me out of the horse pasture hauling manure.

the builders brother has made that his deer camp for the last ten years they have owned it. he is going to be sad to see it go also. right around the corner from his house and it is right near town and still allowed to hunt there. shotgun and bow. property has two stocked ponds also on it. beautifull place. but sure is over grown since the last i seen it. I had to dig out some old photo albums and compare pics.

The ponds being dug. i believe late 60's. the date on the camera is wrong

woodcutting018.jpg

woodcutting019.jpg

woodcutting021.jpg

and a pic from this week

woodcutting008.jpg

1960's

woodcutting022.jpg

2013 same spot looking at the hill

woodcutting014.jpg

and here we are in the early 80's on the same property. that is me and my buddy in the middle. same guy helping me today

woodcutting023.jpg

I hope you'll be able to cut enough wood for a few years to last when the subdivision goes in. Maybe even get some of the wood later when the dozers are let in.

Beautiful piece of property...Hate to see it get subdivided into little building lots. Nice family tractor time too Perry dOd

Nice. My present from my wife to me for my 40th this year was a similar parcel (46ac). The past month and a half have been so enjoyable doing the same thing tho my woods Allis is down with a bgb issue atm. It is sad to see that beautiful piece go to a subdivision. Mine is now protected forestry, good for taxes and good for the future

I really HATE to see any property lost, especially a nice piece like that! I have been on a serious land search for the perfect (close too)10-20 ac I can find and dismayed at the lack of quality untouched land available in western Wisconsin for a semi resonable price. Good land is hard to find period, especially with stocked ponds.

I was lucky enough to have a 25 ac green space near my home growing up. I spent days in that woods and creek building forts, hunting bears and indians, climbing trees and catching frogs and water insects.It was the best playground any kid could ask for. I returned to that space a few years back and though it was unchanged, it looked to be half its size and all of the forts, bears and indians were long gonesm02I feel old!sm00

Great story Perry, and great pictures. Looks like some great seat time. Sorry to see property like that go to a subdivision, but that seems to be the norm out you're direction. Is there any bare land between Auburn Hills and Oxford anymore? It's been a while.

Great opportunity for wood. And if they are going to trash the place, get all you can; or someone else will.

Everyone is sorry about the never-ending loss of natural. MOney is more important - the socalled 'green movement' is just another money making scam imho. When we delete money, we can respond to other primary motivations, and reasons to do things. Such as "I prefer natural".

With personal control of this land, anyone can manage the wood as a sustainable resource, and never-ending supply of firewood - not to mention the natural, no cost benefits of forests.

Pretty soon it's just a memory, if that. This is not news - it's a known and highly publicized problem for at least half a century. The real intent is at best lip service to what is truly beneficial to anyone living on planet Earth.

Now they seek a new planet - so they can trash that too. Just try to stop it. Just try to run for office as someone real with genuine priorities based in service to humanity and the planet. Good luck. It's still continuing - and we all support this destruction and desecration. We already pay the price; and we will pay even more; and more; it only gets worse. Welcome to the insane world.

Take it all, Perry; it's going down. And nobody cares enough for a better solution. Besides, if someone happens to halt the destruction; it will all grow back in some 25 years. Nature will survive long after we kill ourselves. Nature will not stop it's process; but Nature will not consider our preferences in doing so. That's also known information. Balance will be restored; because it is natural.

I have a little 1 acre; with a vacant acre beside me that's a low area, even has a beaver pond. I worry about it. But for firewood, I put a lot of thought into what I am doing; because I need to maintain my little forest; and the many birds, bugs, deer, racoons, coyotes, etc. This is my little contribution. It had grown wild when I first arrived - and it will again - with or without me.

we went back at it on Saturday with two tractors and trailers but i forgot the camera. was a great day to be in the woods. 50 degrees and the sun came out for a bit. we did get everything we had cut hauled home and was able to meet up with B10Dave in between hauls to get his rims-tires.

right now we are only allowed to take what is on the ground, and there is allot of it. nice oak and ash. when they get the clear cut permit then i am allowed to take the standing.

I should have got into this property years ago but have had my own 5 acres that i have been cutting the dead fall on. got caught up last year here . felt weird to drive through my woods and not finding any dead trees after all these years.

this area was empty when we started last Monday. I think we did pretty good for a weeks work and the B-110 kept right up hauling loads out of the woods 8D.

001004.jpg

001005.jpg

001009.jpg

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Thats what I call some serious wood cuttin!! What kind of saws you guys running?

id="quote">
id="quote">A 16" Echo 440EVL and a 18" Stihl 028 wood boss . I also have a stihl 036 pro but needs some work. would like to replace the echo with a stihl 029.also have a 18" pull-on wild thang POS for the cruddy jobs. amazing the thing starts and runs great so we keep it around.

1163668742_63fMD-M.jpg

best-chainsaw-store-PIC-226412905371514221.jpg

PoulanWT_500.jpg

I also own a Wild thing...80.00 new and the POS keeps running , just like you said.. You have good luck with the Echo?

looks like a good project to me. gosh i kinda wish i could bring some tractors over and help with that, looks like fun to me.

quote:Originally posted by dirtmister16

gosh i kinda wish i could bring some tractors over and help with that, looks like fun to me.

id="quote">
id="quote">I think my back would like that too B). too bad this is a two man project. my waiver only allows me and my buddy on the property. I could sure use help loading/unloading wood ....uuugh sm00

Kinda hard to tell in the pic, but if that is a wheel horse tractor on the left and a Vega wagon on the right that picture is 70's.

The Vega came out in 70 or 71

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Kinda hard to tell in the pic, but if that is a wheel horse tractor on the left and a Vega wagon on the right that picture is 70's.The Vega came out in 70 or 71

id="quote">
id="quote">yes you are correct, that picture would be 70's. the wheel horse is around 1967. and that is a farmall 460. not sure on the other one. spent many hours on the 460 tractor with my dad hauling wood and we would drive it back fourth from the guys orchard a few miles down the road. the owner took it ut one day and tore the front axle off in a ditch. never seen the tactor since. The smaller tri-cycle farmall my dad cracked it in the middle. he was clearing the pond one day for a hockey game. the tractor died and was left on the ice over night or maybe longer. well a thaw and then a refeeze and dad trying to get it to break free from ice did that tractor in.

Wow, I have never heard of anyone tearing a tractor apart on ice before! After all of the use that tractor must of saw over the years it seems like kind of a shame the way it died!XX(

Great story, Perry.

When I moved in here, I didn't know anything about Simp/AC gt's. I had a 'wall of green' that was oppressive, and it was littered with fallen trees that had cone shaped ends and amazing teeth marks from the local beaver.

I started forest maintenance by ripping out 'grape ivy' vines, some of those had 2" "trunks" running into the ground. Bought a Stihl, knew nothing about that either - trained myself about felling trees online (recommended). Deleted the fallen stuff, and focused on unhealthy or less desirable species like sumac, poplar. Then took a few good heat trees. Very few. I had to haul all my wood by hand - so it was awful and very limited.

When I got my 716, it had no attachments. Bought a 1500LB trailer, and wow, that made wood ops a lot easier, and more fun.

I soon discovered I did not have enough for a sustainable supply. I focused on improving appearance of the little forest. That developed into some kind of "sculpture" which is ongoing. And I have also seen new trees develop in only a few years to the point where they make a significant offering to the overall appearance.

The forest is kinda leaner and meaner now. Basicly thinned; but healthy. I am mainly fine tuning the picture. This year I took a few ash that were infested with the Emerald Ash beetle. And just over my property line is the low vacant lot - the superstorm loosened those trees; and some are leaning and going to fall - mainly overgrown poplar, a bit of ash, maybe some oak and basswood - so those have to come down eventually.

But I really need a source for ongoing wood - and something like what you have access too = PriceLess.

Yeh, even with the tractor hauling it home, it's hard on the back. A guy has to be careful with all this - in a lot of ways. (my online felling research heavily emphasized proper technique and safety - it's all the same). But I have to pull off some amazing feats with old rotted leaners, etc.

Thanx again - a great read. I notice the history element in this story; this is almost like some kind of closure to a longer story. Thanx for sharing that too! sm01

• Who's Online (See full list)

• TheFlash300
    • StanD
    • Darl Swartz
    • Tarheel
    • PRMax9020
    • Ronald Hribar
    • lt-scir
    • AC710
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts