Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steering problem on 5116

brockway

I am working on a newer tractor than I normally work on(1980) and can not get the tractor to turn right.I am sick of making 3 lefts to go right. I took it all a part and the half moon gear is maxed out. I can not get it set right because of a key that will not allow me to turn it. Any thoughts would be helpful.

If you're maxed out on the pinion gear then the rest of your adjustments on the steering linkage are adjusted wrong, or something is bent. My 6212.5 had a the same problem. It turned really well to the right and not so well to the left. I ended up finding a lot of problems with the steering linkage and rear axle mount. Turns out the po used to mow ditches at top speed, whipped out the axles, then sold it to me8C

So if your wheels are pointed straight, the gear is maxed to one side? I believe should be somewhat centered on the "half moon" to allow both directions. I know PIA to remove all of the tower stuff, but also look at the bottom nylon bushing and sheet metal holder to see if excessive worn, and perhaps jumped some teeth.