Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire disposal

huffy

I've got about 4 sets of old tires off of various tractors that I want to get rid of. What do tire stores generally charge to take them? A local place quoted me $10 a tire (so $80 total) yesterday. Seems kind of steep to me. Is it?

we are allowed to take 4 tires a week to the collection center for free, total of 12 a year. the last time i bought a new tire it cost $2 to leave the old one.

used to be that tires were burned to make cement. (the burning tires cook limestone which is then pulverized to make the cement) that was banned due to pollution. new generations of stack scrubbers can eliminate the pollution but the laws have not been updated.

tire anecdote:

in the mid '80;s it was rumored that a trash to energy plant was going to be built in kingston, n.h. a guy named earnie hunt went around to all the gas stations buying up old tires, figuring to sell them to the trash plant. he amassed several million, yes, million, tires on his family property on hunt road, kingston, nh.

the trash plant idea fell thru. hunt was stuck with the tires, which the state told him to clean up. he disappeared to avoid paying the fines that were accruing.

then the tires caught fire. took the state over a week to put the fire out by burying the tire piles in sand. then the state hired a company from n j to shred the tires and truck them to n j where they were loaded on ships and taken to greece where they were used to make cement.

after the clean up, hunt resurfaced. he hadn't left the state so he wasn't guilty of interstate flight to avoid prosecution. all the state could do was try to collect the original fines. hunt declared bankruptcy. the taxpayers got the bill.

Most around here only charge 2 or 3 for a lawn mower tire.

Not far away is a tire recylcing plant that sometimes advertises on CL. When they get short they will actually buy car tires. I have not had a chance to contact them to find out about mower tires.

Any dairy farms in your area? Here most of them cover their silage piles with a tarp, held down by old tires. If its not many some of them will let you drop a few there.

Don't ask how I know this one...Fronts will fit nicely in the center of a light bag of trash on collection day :o:O

One more, our town highway dept will let you take them there for a couple bucks each too. I think they would rather do that than pick them up from the sides of the roads.

I've also heard that if you cut them up, fronts in half, rears in thirds, you can legally put them in the trash. By cutting them, they are no longer tires but household garbage.

Never checked to find out if its true or not.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

They make a good campfire at night.:D

id="quote">
id="quote">This would be illegal. So, of course they are not ablaze in my burn pit right now.Seriously, though, the community that I live in makes it impossible or exceedingly expensive to get rid of anything legally. It's sad when things get to where a man can't even afford to throw something away.

I take them to the local dump that is set up to handle tires. They allow a county resident to drop off four tires without any charge. You can come back again with four more tires. Nobody has ever questioned me.

Been taking my trash to that dump for many years, even before they built the recycling dropoff area. They now have separate dropoff points for metal, batteries, plastics, glass, tires, used motor oil, lawn mowers and small engines, treelimbs and building materials that can be shredded, and then household garbage.

It is an oval shaped drive with dumpsters around the outer edge. The area you drive on has been raised so that the tailgate on a pickup truck is approximately level with the top of a dumpster. This makes it relatively easy to unload your truck into a dumpster.

Also to the side is the mulching area where they shred the tree limbs and construction lumber. There is a huge pile of mulch which is free for the taking. You must load it yourself by hand, but you can take all you want. When my wife needs mulch for a flower bed and we have used all of my shreddings, I will take a couple large tubs and fill them up with mulch from the dump.

When they first built the recycling setup I thought it would end up being a pain. It is actually pretty easy to use. Only problem is that I can't rummage through the scrap metal and small engine areas like I did before.

Our county recycling center has a tire day once a year. You can bring up to like 8 tires per household. They also have household chemical day too. Both are usually during the summer months. I guess they would rather take them for free once a year rather than illegal dumping or burning.

Same here; local landfill does hazardous waste day - at least 2x per yr.

And tires are free anytime - I don't think there's a limit.

and yes, that's an anti-pollution policy

- they used to charge, don't recall details.

we use to have a yearly spring clean up. but they stopped that 2yrs ago and i can see me tire pile is growing. we were allowed 10 car tires per address. i would put 20+ out tat road and they would take them. not sure what to do with them now.