Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil smoke cloud suddenly out of Triad

JohnFornaro

I have been dodging a rebuild on the same engine in a Husqvarna for a farmer down the road. Same symptoms. I have gone to the trouble of checking most of what has been done here, but don't recall pulling the dipstick to check. He is 84, and likely adds oil every time he starts the engine. Hmmmmmm

So.... Remember, I had just drained two quarts of oil from the tractor? Resulting in the oil level being a mite low? But I couldn't remember how much to put back in?

Ahhhh.... here it is. Two quarts, per the manual. Started right up.

Billowing huge clouds of oil smoke.

So I drained out one new quart, and everything seems to be fine. Senior moment, I suppose.

New problem. The plastic idler pulley has melted. I don't know how long the belt has been dragging over the molten part of the pulley. Couple of weeks.

Diameter of plastic pully: 4" Diameter of steel pulleys on the other tractors: 3 5/8". PartsTree will sell me the plastic pulley for $28. Found a Stens suplier where the steel smaller pulleys were only $15 or so. Got three, so I'd have spares.

Part of my insurance policy is to have spares. When something breaks, you can replace it. And if you have a spare, it thwarts Murphy somewhat.

The last time I changed the drive belt, I had a heck of a time doing so, largely because the idler pulley was so large, and the tension spring so heavy duty.

Why did they change the pulley diameter? No reason, that I can tell. Why did they make it plastic? (Nylon, I think) And then charge more for it?

Can I go ahead and run the tractor today? There are streaks of black melted plastic on the outside of the belt. Or should I wait till the pulley arrives.