Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Starter Gear Replacement......

GLPointon

I bought this cheap starter last spring from E-Bay (likely made in China) Does anybody know if the nylon gear is available/common/replaceable? or should I just get another starter?This is from my Simplicity 7116 with a Briggs engineThanks sm01

DSCI4187.JPG

DSCI4187.JPG.2dc702d54c03886913106a694e379f84.JPG

Last I knew, gears were about $9.

If you ate it up that quick, and bought it off ebay, was it the right tooth count??

There are 3 counts that I know of. If it was the wrong one may be why it got destroyed so quick.

Do you know what the tooth count should be? Does it match by engine HP or are there diff ring gears for the same HP's? Although it did work fine for 4 months of use now, but it has always been a bit louder than the gear start Kohlers I have???

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Last I knew, gears were about $9.If you ate it up that quick, and bought it off ebay, was it the right tooth count??There are 3 counts that I know of. If it was the wrong one may be why it got destroyed so quick.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Thanks Ray...thats what I needed. I'll PM sm01

quote:Originally posted by RayS

It is Briggs part 693059. They are 16 teeth. Send me a PM I know I have one maybe more.

id="quote">
id="quote">

I have a theory;

I had a LOW battery the other day...If theres not enough power to fully engage the Bendix then the gears don't mesh well and slip...then it snowballs into total loss.

I had an MTD yrs ago (the shame) that needed a new gear every time the battery ran down & I tried to start it without charger/jump and it would slip and grind...I learned to chrg at 1st sign the batt is low.

This was my 1st low batt on a gear starter since then. IMO this is 1 advantage of the belt starters. maybe the only??

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

I have a theory;I had a LOW battery the other day...If theres not enough power to fully engage the Bendix then the gears don't mesh well and slip...then it snowballs into total loss. I had an MTD yrs ago (the shame) that needed a new gear every time the battery ran down & I tried to start it without charger/jump and it would slip and grind...I learned to chrg at 1st sign the batt is low. This was my 1st low batt on a gear starter since then. IMO this is 1 advantage of the belt starters. maybe the only??

id="quote">
id="quote">Further to your theory, and perhaps a simple point: the low battery would present a hard starting situation, obviously. But if the starting gears don't mesh fully; that would further be evidenced as hard starting - even harder starting. Which sets up an exponential deterioration; both in starting, and in parts destruction. Thanks for the view. Thanks for sharing.I have a similar situation on my Simp Pacer mower. I believe I have a ground problem, causing a charging problem, causing a battery problem, causing a starting problem. Your theory says I am risking a "start-er" problem as well. 8)Big problem is accessing the area; it almost calls for large scale disassembly, or a wrench I just don't have. yet. And the Pacer is a rather strange machine. For now, I can swap batteries w my 716, or my charger; just to manage the situation. (inconvenient).(I don't know of anyone else here who has one (1694494); some here might have a similar Ferris WalkBehind.36).

I'm with ya there...I'v never worked on (or seen) one of your type big walkbehind mowers.

But its true that smaller (than a tractor) doesn't mean easier to work on. My little Coronet I just repaired was a pain in the who-ha compared to my tractors. the fix was easy but getting to it was not. XX(

Yes, everything sits on a platform frame; and I need to get under the platform, reach as far as possible, then play w a bolt, and there's no room to move. :D Maybe a helper, chain hoist, tilt, etc.

I'm just a little braver than I used to be tho. Need to revisit. Whole machine has been great but major overhaul is due, unless leaking engine gaskets (several) is normal. 8) It's usual is oil and grease - been very reliable.

(did we hijack your thread yet?) B) .... /

I have the same problem with my new starter on my Briggs 16HP.

The problem lies in the fact the new starter shaft is shorter than the old original starter. You can see the gear does not completely engage. Yours is better than mine by the way. I filed out the mount holes to be able to shove the starter a little farther into the ring gear. It's still a problem. I never have a issue in the summer, just the winter when the engine cranks hard. I even went as far a cutting the frame a bit so I can replace the drive gear in just a few minutes with out loosing the motor to get clearance to loosen the bottom starter bolts. I tried to put the old armature in the new housing but that to is to long to fit. The magnets in my old stater fractured which promoted the replacement.

Hopefully my 7119 will cause all that to go away....

Ken

Thanks Guys...I just got new gear for this starter...BUT, Do any of you have any advice on removing the old one. I cant get the "cap thingy"(technical term) off the end of the starter shaft. :(XX( I changed these yrs ago on a Briggs MTD mowers but cant get it now?!.....Thanks

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

I bought this cheap starter last spring from E-Bay (likely made in China) Does anybody know if the nylon gear is available/common/replaceable? or should I just get another starter?This is from my Simplicity 7116 with a Briggs engineThanks sm01

DSCI4187.JPG

id="quote">
id="quote">

DSCI4187.JPG.5eb4520acbb229d6e78d25f503ce766a.JPG

If I'm not mistaken, haven't done one in a while, gotta work the black cap down against the spring far enough to get out the pin or snap ring in the center, then the gear will spin off.

Thanks Dan that sounds right. I cant seem to get the piece to push down to expose the C-clip (but I can see the c-clip)...but I'll keep trying. sm01

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

If I'm not mistaken, haven't done one in a while, gotta work the black cap down against the spring far enough to get out the pin or snap ring in the center, then the gear will spin off.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Thanks Ray for the gears...I finally got it apart. I had to use a hammer & big socket to pop the cap down to expose the C-clip to remove so the cap/spring/washer/and gear would come off...(I thought I was gonna break it)

DSCI4195.JPG

DSCI4199.JPG

But...Success at last sm01

DSCI4195.JPG.483b5b2fb11b89e5519e8d95e85ca561.JPG

DSCI4199.JPG.0fdc66591ff8b86487c76b16fc133797.JPG