Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro vs. Gear for loader tractor

Chris727

Having seen a few loaders mounted on hydro FDTs in recent posts, I was wondering what users think of them. I was going to put mine on a B-212 Variable so I could rely more on the clutch/brake and not have to use my hand for the speed control lever as much. The bucket controls are on the same side as the hydro lever and it just looks like you would get too much going on at one time. A foot control would be the way to go but it wasn't OEM so I'm not doing that.

Foot control hydro is the best arrangement for a loader. I have used all three setups... manual tranny, hand hydro and foot hydro.

After the foot hydro, the gear setup is the second best...

Otherwise you need 3 hands|)

After plenty of practice with both 3-speed and hydro (hand), I find it difficult to jump on the 3-speed vs the hydro for a chore. The hydro is much easier to control ground speed when moving real slow. I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the loader. For me, most of my use is moving things...easing up to the tailgate to grab an attachment off the truck, or putting attachments away on shelves, etc. I can't use a 3-speed for that, givin the option of both types of machine...I have a nice dent in the pickup to show for my efforts trying it.

For repeated scoop, travel, dump type work, like moving stone, mulch, etc, the 3 speed does eliminate the 3-hand operation feel. I still prefer the ease of direction changes with the hydro, and a Vickers, specifically, is very smooth, and you don't really wrench on the machine like you do with the engagement of a clutch. I also don't care for the 3-speed/FEL on uneven or hilly ground. That free wheeling potential isn't fun with the higher center of gravity due to the FEL, especially when carrying a load.

Foot hydro would be ideal.

Mine is on a RBT (Allis 400 series) and it has a Shuttle which I love because you can still "feather" the clutch to inch into the pile while using your hands to steer & on the hydros. But to reverse I just pull the lever all the way back and let up the clutch.

I was not sure till I used it...now I wouldnt change it for anything.

Its like the shuttle trannys on a backhoe, pick a gear range then just forward & back...and still able to clutch. sm01 Its like the best of both gear & hydrostat.

My loader is on a variable, never tried or had one on a hydro so I have nothing to compare it to in that sense. That said I like mine on the variable and find ground speed is easily managed with variable. I like the idea of a fairly solid connection with a gear driven transmission and not needing a third hand to control a (stock) hydro.

As it is without power steering two hands are needed just to do the steering chore at times!

Good point Reed, I like the solid gear trans my shuttle has also BUT hydrostat may be a big plus if you add Power Steering...With a full scoop steering is hard at very low ground speed, once I'm rolling there's no diff.